Plans for today (2024)

I think dress code merits a completely new thread, even though it's nothing to do with food.
Formality, when thinking of how to dress, seems to have gone down the drain. I'm not being judgemental; it's just happened. There was a time (30 odd years ago) when we wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant without dressing up a bit. At least a jacket, a shirt, formal trousers (not jeans) and proper shoes and socks. Dresses for ladies. Even here in the tropics - that was the norm.New Year's Eve here, until about 10-12 years ago, was a suit and tie. A long, elegant gown for my wife. No-one would dream of arriving in anything less.
I worked in Corporate until 2001 and a suit, or jacket and tie was company policy. The only exception was "Casual Friday", when we all turned up in jeans.
I expect by 2050, people will turn up in G-strings/thongs with their hair painted green.
I am someone who tends to dress on the more casual side for many things, but the theatre really surprised me. I expected a bit of a more casual atmosphere, but was very surprised to see people in hoodies and sweats!

Our office is quite casual - even our COO doesn’t wear a suit or tie, just a pair of slacks and a button-down. I used to wear a blazer to my old job quite often, but that was mostly because they cranked the AC so high a blazer kept me from freezing completely to death. Right now I’ve accumulated so much branded attire (I work at a post-secondary institution) that I’m usually wearing something with our logo on.

Plans for today have already begun - a drainage canal in the front garden. The workmen start at 7.30 around here. Yawn!
Got to go to the bank, to two banks, actually. A very rare occurence these days!
TOEFL class at midday then a restaurant meeting at 3pm to work out some new courses.

Our office is quite casual
My work dress code changed with each employer, or even office location.

US West (sort of the Verizon of its day), pretty casual, jeans and shirts with collars and sneakers were fine.

Cargill was the most strict - suit and tie and dress shoes every day except Friday. Casual Friday was khaki-style trousers, button-down dress shirt, and no sneakers. I frequently had to get under raised computer room flooring for one thing or another - I only did that once before using a pair of coveralls to keep my clothes clean and in good repair.

Target was the same as Cargill, except they were the most strict in their downtown headquarters. Things were a bit more casual in suburban offices.

When I started here, our everyday attire was that - the casual-but-no-jeans trousers and a “nice” shirt, but no tie or jacket required, and Fridays we were allowed jeans and a pullover golf shirt, but no t-shirts or sneakers. We’d have “special” days where we’d be allowed to wear nice shorts, or athletic wear to support a local team, too.

Then, around 2010, it went ultra-casual, and it really became a bit much, as there would be people in stained t-shirts, flip-flops, and I’ll never be able to unsee one gentleman in the office wearing the tightest and skimpiest Daisy Dukes I’ve ever seen - we’re talking about manscaping in the ads topic, and he should have been their first customer…front and back! :eek:

Talking of attire I watched some snooker thing on youtube this morning (I seem to be totally failing to pack or do any of my jobs 😬) and wondered what an earth made snooker players decide on a uniform of fitted shirt, waistcoat and bow tie?

Edit: Mr SSOAP has explained - Snooker was predominantly and still is considered a gentleman’s game that was played in gentlemens clubs who have a formal dress code.
Billiards is a pub game because it’s faster and the tables are smaller.
And new info to me at any rate. Mr SSOAPs school boarding houses had a snooker table in each one and apparently they still do!

Last edited:
Leaving for the dentist in 25 minutes or so. Having a bit of an allergy issue with my sinuses so hoping I can breathe while they have my mouth cranked open.
I survived. Two small fillings and I'm getting back on my prescription calcium triphosphate fluoride toothpaste. That stuff is awesome. I never had cavities while using it. During the pandemic my prescription ran out and I forgot to refill it. My dentist just called it in so I should be good here on out.

Having a break from packing. I don't think I've ever been so complacent before going away. I arrived back four weeks ago, put all of my panniers and bags in a corner and thought well there's not enough time to make unpacking worthwhile, I'll just wash my clothes and repack them. Then promptly didn't :scratchhead:

So how delightful it was to find a cucumber that has been in my bag, boiled in the sun for days on end then stored in a warm garage for 4 weeks :shy:
I won't be having cucumber soup anytime soon :yuck:

Then there was the slow dawning I don't know where my passport is, have no idea where the spare key for this bike is, haven't got my ferry ticket, don't have the correct documents gathered to legally ride this bike abroad and am not sure where I put the printed version of the all the accommodation I booked which they without fail ask for in Spain :banghead:

To top things off there's still no date for my friends funeral and this means it's entirely possible I'll get half way across Spain and have to find a fast way back, so I need to pack funeral clothes just in case.

And joy of joys, Mr SSOAP's is not packed, I've spied stuff he needs all over the shop, his bags are open and his clothes are on the airer! :ninja::roflmao:
Soz, I'll stop whining now.

On the upside the kitchen panniers looking good :happy:

So how delightful it was to find a cucumber that has been in my bag, boiled in the sun for days on end then stored in a warm garage for 4 weeks :shy:
When MrsT and I were first dating, I planned a romantic six-month-anniversary picnic. I was 21 years and 11 months old.

I painstakingly put together a menu, planning for way too much food (that’s a habit with me), with sandwiches, fried chicken, potato salad, macaroni salad, cheese, vegetables to dip, dip, a cheesecake, watermelon…just all kinds of stuff.

I had to go buy a cooler to put it all in, and I spent half my paycheck on a super-deluxe giant cooler, with in-lid storage, dividers, many other features. It was the Rolls-Royce of coolers.

Day of, we had the picnic (Cascade Lake in the Adirondacks, beautiful!), and once the date ended, I came back home to my room and decided I’d handle the cooler the next morning, so I left it in the back of the car.

Next morning turned into next day…next week…next month…after month after month, and there it sat in my car, full of half-eaten food, baking in the sun.

Eventually, I sold the car and had to clean it out, so I ended up chucking the whole thing, unopened, in the trash dumpster. :laugh:

When MrsT and I were first dating, I planned a romantic six-month-anniversary picnic. I was 21 years and 11 months old.

I painstakingly put together a menu, planning for way too much food (that’s a habit with me), with sandwiches, fried chicken, potato salad, macaroni salad, cheese, vegetables to dip, dip, a cheesecake, watermelon…just all kinds of stuff.

I had to go buy a cooler to put it all in, and I spent half my paycheck on a super-deluxe giant cooler, with in-lid storage, dividers, many other features. It was the Rolls-Royce of coolers.

Day of, we had the picnic (Cascade Lake in the Adirondacks, beautiful!), and once the date ended, I came back home to my room and decided I’d handle the cooler the next morning, so I left it in the back of the car.

Next morning turned into next day…next week…next month…after month after month, and there it sat in my car, full of half-eaten food, baking in the sun.

Eventually, I sold the car and had to clean it out, so I ended up chucking the whole thing, unopened, in the trash dumpster. :laugh:
I wanted and wow and a laughy face on that one! :roflmao:

This evening we are going to our local pub to see the comedian Ignacio Lopez, he is doing 1 hour work in progress, 7.30-8.30. The tickets sold out fast and there was such a high demand that he is staying on and doing 9.00-10.00 as well. Win all round: 1: his hardcore fans are happy, 2: more money in his pocket, 3: the pub earn more money from drink sales.

I won't be having cucumber soup anytime soon :yuck:

I totally sympathize. We went to a farmer's market years ago and bought a bunch of vegetables. Came home and we both unpacked and put things away. I was working from home so we mainly just used the car on the weekends when doing shopping, errands, etc. Toward the end of the week, I started dinner and went to get the asparagus in the refrigerator. Can't find it. Craig didn't remember putting it away and neither did I. Went to look in the car. This happened at the start of summer so temperatures were up there.

Opened the car door and gagged. Couldn't see the asparagus anywhere. Finally decided to look under the seats. Yep, the bundle of asparagus had rolled under the driver's seat and had pretty much liquefied. We had to take the seat out, clean the carpet under it, wait for it to dry, put baking soda on the carpet, which had to be vacuumed up and replaced several times, then leave the window open for months before the smell finally went away. Never made that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom