Poultry/Chicken seasoning

Local time
8:59 AM
[Mod comment: posts moved to create new topic(TR)]

View attachment 113592

I visited Holland, Michigan, last week for the annual Tulip Festival. Holland has a lot of residents from the homeland, and so there are quite a few excellent Dutch things...like tulips and gouda. The unseasonably warm temperatures caused the tulips to bloom a bit earlier than usual, though they still looked (and smelled) amazing. And, the varieties of gouda were mind-blowing. I didn't want to scare my family with the truffle or dill infused gouda (though maybe another time). Smoked gouda has always been a favorite of mine, so the decision was easy.

This is a bit like an Alfredo preparation, with gouda instead of parmesano reggiano, though there are other differences. Most importantly, everyone in my family liked it! This is very unusual from a group that can't agree on anything, so I will certainly make it again.

Ingredients

2 pounds chicken breast
Chicken seasoning (I used Chupacabra Chicken Seasoning)
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1/2 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces cremini ("baby bella") mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup smoked gouda, grated
1/2 cup chicken stock
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 green onions, cut in small pieces
Salt as desired (it's pretty salty as-is)

Directions

1. Trim chicken breasts of fat. Cut into 1 inch (25 mm) chunks. Season with chicken seasoning and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

2. Melt bacon grease in a pan on medium heat, and saute onions until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid is released, about 2 minutes. Melt butter in the pan, then add chicken pieces. Stir occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.

View attachment 113594

3. Stir cream cheese and gouda into the pan.

View attachment 113593

4. Stir in cornstarch if desired, and cook until thickened. Add salt if desired. Stir in green onions, and serve over egg noodles.

View attachment 113595
One question, what is 'chicken seasoning'?
Over here chicken seasoning isn't much of a thing but the ones you see tend to be sugar, salt and paprika or some other flavouring.
I clicked the link but my virus software (which never alerts me) said it's not happy!

One question, what is 'chicken seasoning'?
Over here chicken seasoning isn't much of a thing but the ones you see tend to be sugar, salt and paprika or some other flavouring.

That's a great question...here, we have plenty of things called "chicken seasoning" that do enhance the flavor of the chicken, but I never thought about what goes into that seasoning before. All of them seem to have a blend of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, sugar, and salt. Most also add turmeric, but I think that's mostly for coloring.

Powdered/dry poultry seasoning is what I think of for a quick seasoning. When I make poultry and I want a fresh flavor I start with fresh onion, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme, salt, ground pepper plus a good shake of poultry seasoning.

When I make chicken pot pie, I use a lot of poultry seasoning (I blend my own) - poultry seasoning has a very distinct fragrance, and whenever I smell it, I think “chicken pot pie!”
To me, poultry seasoning is Thanksgiving Turkey, gravy and stuffing. :bravo:

Here’s a typical container of poultry seasoning here, very common spice blend, available at just about any grocery store:

1715904369346.jpeg

Walmart

Any poultry seasoning I’ve ever used has smelled predominantly of thyme. It’s quite aromatic and a little goes a long way.

Mccormack and Bell's look like they're just the herbs and spices without the other ingredients (the extra ingredients in some I've looked at this morning I wouldn't be interested in having), they both look closer to a homemade mix, is that right?

Not that I'm adverse to the occasional bit of MSG or salt n sugar (yum yum) but I don't like paying spice prices for salt n sugar. Prefer to add that part myself.

Equal amounts of each?
No, but it’s an easy formula to remember. I’ll post up a recipe later today.

I don't like paying spice prices for salt n sugar. Prefer to add that part myself.
That’s what initially got me to make these spice mixes at home - the store-bought ones are usually too high in salt, sugar, or some kind of filler, like flour or cornstarch.

I generally have everything on hand anyway, so I make them myself now.

No, but it’s an easy formula to remember. I’ll post up a recipe later today.
Thanks

That’s what initially got me to make these spice mixes at home - the store-bought ones are usually too high in salt, sugar, or some kind of filler, like flour or cornstarch.

I generally have everything on hand anyway, so I make them myself now.
Ditto.

Back
Top Bottom