What Goes Into Your Suitcase When You Travel?

I only use a suitcase when I go to Europe as it is just for taking things back.
Otherwise it is duffel bag or back pack.
We typically use our Rack-Packs from Ortlieb.

They can be used alone or as we originally bought them, to go on the back of our bikes and clip on to the panniers.

IMG_1272_1024.jpeg

You can just see this in the picture above.

We typically use our Rack-Packs from Ortlieb.

They can be used alone or as we originally bought them, to go on the back of our bikes and clip on to the panniers.

View attachment 112718
You can just see this in the picture above.
Love Ortlieb my favourite cycling bag by a mile, such good quality, one of my favourite ever cycling purchases.
It was quite disappointing to discover they are not good motorcycle bags.
They work but they don’t work well, they don’t have the lashing points on them, you’re reliant on bungees to hold them down and that gets really tiresome really quickly when the bags are going on and off every day.

The wind speed and vibration on a motorbike cause loads to shift a hell of a lot more than on a bicycle so you have to check your bags a lot.
I found some really good bags in the end, from Australia. Superb. Extremely tough and with the backpack straps versatile too. Not really a cycling bag but the best waterproof bag I’ve ever owned.
If you’re ever in the market for a new waterproof bag ever you might want to check them out.

This is the UK site (which didn’t exist when I bought mine) but they are definitely an Australian brand. I believe they are now available in the US and Canada too.

UNPLUG EASY OUTDOOR ADVENTURE - Easy Camping and Outdoors Lifetyle

On the suitcase front if I’m heading to an airport my main criteria for luggage is does it have good wheels?
Because crikey sometimes you have to lug that stuff really far!

I’ve just bought us new cabin bags. Decided to go with a nice brand. The cheapies I bought from Argos have been excellent but in January I was over burdened and very far away from going anywhere for a while so a nice cabin bag represented something to look forward to.

Not used them yet but I already like them. I wanted a luggage brand that offers repairs because I’ve lost track over the years of how many bust up cases have ended up in the bin. Hopefully this will be kinder to the environment.

IMG_2205.jpeg

Now I just have to make a waterproof slip case with lashing points so it clips straight onto the back of a motorcycle.
Not sure how I’m going to do that so that’ll be fun 😂

They work but they don’t work well, they don’t have the lashing points on them, you’re reliant on bungees to hold them down and that gets really tiresome really quickly when the bags are going on and off every day.
In the 2 small sizes, the buckles are designed to fit the ortlieb panniers, twice on each side, so the 3 bags effectively become 1 unit.
The bag has needed a couple of repairs after the odd crash over the years, but even with the repairs (we got the ortlieb kit) they are still 100% waterproof. Can't fault them really from a cyclist's point of view.
We've still got all of our panniers and bikes.

In the 2 small sizes, the buckles are designed to fit the ortlieb panniers, twice on each side, so the 3 bags effectively become 1 unit.
The bag has needed a couple of repairs after the odd crash over the years, but even with the repairs (we got the ortlieb kit) they are still 100% waterproof. Can't fault them really from a cyclist's point of view.
We've still got all of our panniers and bikes.
Ortleib are appealing because they can be lifetime purchase. A few scars on them from crashes IMO only adds to their looks!

I’ve just bought us new cabin bags.
MrsT is picky about her luggage, and we used Delsey bags for years - they include lots of thoughtful things like shoe bags that snap inside out of the way, and their customer service, if you should have a problem, is very good. We still have two (down from four)

Lately, though, she’s gone with Solgaard luggage:

Solgaard Luggage

She loves that, because they have some kind of internal modular packing system that she likes.

Me…I’m old-fashioned. No wheels, just an Italian leather duffel that I can fit a week’s worth in, and it’s small enough to carry on when I choose to do that.

MrsT is picky about her luggage, and we used Delsey bags for years - they include lots of thoughtful things like shoe bags that snap inside out of the way, and their customer service, if you should have a problem, is very good. We still have two (down from four)

Lately, though, she’s gone with Solgaard luggage:

Solgaard Luggage

She loves that, because they have some kind of internal modular packing system that she likes.

Me…I’m old-fashioned. No wheels, just an Italian leather duffel that I can fit a week’s worth in, and it’s small enough to carry on when I choose to do that.
Ooo now they’re the bees knees. If I’m in the market for a larger case that brand will be given serious consideration! Thanks for that.
I have three gorgeous leather duffel bags but I only use them for weekends away in the UK. Any airport action - give me wheels any day!

Here's our basic luggage
IMG_5888.JPG

I've already donated that "Banana Tote" to the charity shop, I hardly ever used it and it was a gift.
That smaller black bag has gotta GO! It's far too heavy for airplane travel and doesn't hold much anyways.
That hard-sided grey bag to the left is FABULOUS!!! It holds plenty for me.
And then the big blue one to the rear needs to be upgraded. It's too cumbersome and heavy. The wheels suck and the telescoping handle is broken!
DH feels that this will probably be our last flight, ever ... HMMM 🤔 Just yesterday we had a lengthy discussion on taking a flight back to the East Coast of the US to visit with is ailing older Brother ...
OH! And I think I already showed y'all my extra large zippered canvas tote that I use when coming back from Hawaii.

Here's our basic luggage
View attachment 113325
I've already donated that "Banana Tote" to the charity shop, I hardly ever used it and it was a gift.
That smaller black bag has gotta GO! It's far too heavy for airplane travel and doesn't hold much anyways.
That hard-sided grey bag to the left is FABULOUS!!! It holds plenty for me.
And then the big blue one to the rear needs to be upgraded. It's too cumbersome and heavy. The wheels suck and the telescoping handle is broken!
DH feels that this will probably be our last flight, ever ... HMMM 🤔 Just yesterday we had a lengthy discussion on taking a flight back to the East Coast of the US to visit with is ailing older Brother ...
OH! And I think I already showed y'all my extra large zippered canvas tote that I use when coming back from Hawaii.
That hard sided grey case to the left gets my vote!

I don't really travel that much and I don't care whether my suitcase is made by Samsonsite, Gucci or Fiorucci. I do, however, need a suitcase and cabin luggage that has lots of wheels, so I can wheel them through the interminable miles of passageways in today's airports. :laugh:

I got a hard shell suitcase for air travel.
It's yellow, so I can find it back easily at luggage collection.
Except: emirates uses a yellow suitcase, almost the same as mine, to come out first on the conveyor belt....
Been fooled a couple of times now, but in general it works pretty well :)

I got a hard shell suitcase for air travel.
It's yellow, so I can find it back easily at luggage collection.
Except: emirates uses a yellow suitcase, almost the same as mine, to come out first on the conveyor belt....
Been fooled a couple of times now, but in general it works pretty well :)
I have a bright yellow suitcase too. It’s so much easier to spot!

Back
Top Bottom