What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

I set out a challenge for myself for the month of May:
try your darnedest to NOT buy any groceries - use what ever we have in the house until we leave for Hawaii.
As I am trying to reduce my consumption of carbohydrates, I need some salad makings. I had bought this for my Mother, who said that it was very good.
IMG_3927.JPG

That's a hard pass!!
I DID NOT care for that at all, but I won't tell Mom that, I'll just continue to buy it for her alone.

I set out a challenge for myself for the month of May:
try your darnedest to NOT buy any groceries - use what ever we have in the house until we leave for Hawaii.
As I am trying to reduce my consumption of carbohydrates, I need some salad makings. I had bought this for my Mother, who said that it was very good.
View attachment 113460
That's a hard pass!!
I DID NOT care for that at all, but I won't tell Mom that, I'll just continue to buy it for her alone.
Most of those salad kits, the greens have a weird chemical taste to me.

I have to confess that that idea appals me. They may claim it's organic and vegan and all that, but yuck.
I don't know of anyone who uses it. I remember when it came out decades ago, they used to stock it in the produce section, rows of it stacked up between the peppers and cucumbers and what have you, but I haven't seen it in ages.

I don't know of anyone who uses it. I remember when it came out decades ago, they used to stock it in the produce section, rows of it stacked up between the peppers and cucumbers and what have you, but I haven't seen it in ages.
Apparently sulphites used on salad bar items cause 'Salad Bar Syndrome' because a surprising number of people have a sensitivity to sulphites. Asthma being the most common reaction.

I read some poor guy kept having severe asthma attacks, had his medications changed and they couldn't find any reason it had suddenly become so bad.

It was a chance encounter with a dietician who told him salad bars often use sulphites but didn't have to declare it.
He'd been desperately trying to improve his health and lose weight so was eating at a salad bar every lunch time!

Not sure if that's the same now about the labelling laws on restaurant foods 🤷‍♀️ but it certainly wouldn't have crossed my mind.

I don't eat at salad bars anyway, I've watched too many people stick their fingers in to pick things up and seen folk coughing over them.
The straw that broke the camels back was seeing a guy sneeze over one.

Never used a salad bar again and don't like buffets with lots of members of the general public for the same reason. If I have no choice I make sure I'm right up the front of the queue, less people have had a chance to do anything gross 🤣

SatNavs Cannelloni recipe was too tempting so I searched for gluten free cannelloni which I've never seen and this very well reviewed stuff appeared.
It's not exactly cheap and the P&P was £7 unless you spent £40 then it was free so of course in the interests of saving money I bought more 🤪
IMG_2799.jpeg

So SatNavSaysStraightOn the way I see it you've cost me a fair whack! 🤣😂🤣🤣

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom