What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

Quick stop at ALDI:

IMG_8173.jpeg

Kroger used to sell that salsa (our favorite brand), but stopped several months ago, and I’ve been having to pay something like $7/jar for it at the gourmet place, so when I saw $3/jar at ALDI, I grabbed three jars.

IMG_8174.jpeg

Strawberries look really good.

Well I generally don’t like milk chocolate but I have to say they’ve nailed it.
View attachment 113120

No good for my nut allergic son but at last a vegan chocolate I really want to eat! Yum yum.
Yep, I tried that one when we were in the UK.

Now my excuse for not eating chocolate is much more difficult. Vegan (commercial/bulk) chocolate isn't 'orrible anymore.

Kroger and ALDI:

View attachment 112846View attachment 112847
First fresh corn I’ve bought this year.

View attachment 112848View attachment 112849
I prefer whole dills, but spears was all they had. I’m really enjoying those BH pickles, though. I used to buy Mt. Olive or ALDI brand, but these are superior, IMO.

I’m making money at ALDI, as several people, every time I go, don’t bother taking their cart back to get their quarter, and since they don’t have a cart corral in the parking lot, they’re just strewn all over, so if I have time, I usually grab a couple and trot them up, and get the quarters as my reward. I have about 15 quarters in the little coin pocket in each car.
Here people take them back but some don't shove them up into the coin chain so that others can take them for free, or they hand them off to other approaching shoppers. The whole idea is to save the cost of having cart corrals and paying employees to go out and gather them!

Most infused spirits don’t cause reactions because of the distillation process. That’s why a coeliac can drink gin and other spirits.
What happens when you come into contact with juniper?
I break out in a bumpy rash and develop a headache. Given that other allergies I am prone to have gotten worse over the years, I can only imagine it would be similar. Also if I'm around cedar/juniper bushes my throat swellis up and I have difficulty breathing. If I touch cedar or juniper I immediately break out in a rash.

Given I don't like the taste of gin it doesn't really matter.

I break out in a bumpy rash and develop a headache. Given that other allergies I am prone to have gotten worse over the years, I can only imagine it would be similar. Also if I'm around cedar/juniper bushes my throat swellis up and I have difficulty breathing. If I touch cedar or juniper I immediately break out in a rash.

Given I don't like the taste of gin it doesn't really matter.
Oof thats a strong reaction and not a common one, glad it’s not a common ingredient!

Oof thats a strong reaction and not a common one, glad it’s not a common ingredient!
My sister who lives in Texas has it really bad because cedar is prevalent there. I am grateful we have no cedar and minimal juniper here. But we've got plenty of other stuff growing up here to make me sneeze and itch, lol. I take 3 different types of allergy pills, 2 kinds of nasal sprays, and 1 brand of eye drops (all prescription except for the benedryl). I still go through a few boxes of facial tissues a week but not much in the way of rashes thankfully.

My sister who lives in Texas has it really bad because cedar is prevalent there. I am grateful we have no cedar and minimal juniper here. But we've got plenty of other stuff growing up here to make me sneeze and itch, lol. I take 3 different types of allergy pills, 2 kinds of nasal sprays, and 1 brand of eye drops (all prescription except for the benedryl). I still go through a few boxes of facial tissues a week but not much in the way of rashes thankfully.
My son is similar.
So many peoples immune systems are severely jangled by the way life is now that allergies are sky rocketing.
And not just amongst children, older people even into their 80’s are developing them.

IMO it’s not something that’s being approached or addressed correctly. It seems to be viewed as a sort of weakness and something you have to put up with.
But it’s a serious problem that’s escalating at an alarming rate. As usual it will be treated reactively rather than proactively. Money for the research needed won’t happen until it affects an even larger percentage of the population.

Rather fitting conversation as I’ve just opened a letter for my son for a hospital appt to see if he can have a kennalog injection to help him through the summer!

Back
Top Bottom