20-Minute recipe challenge

stuey48

Local time
8:40 AM
Hello
I currently have a repertoire of about 40 or so after-work dinners which I cook during the week. Even though 40 is a fair amount, even with this many I'm beginning to get a bit bored. I would like to ask: What are your favourite recipes which can be prepared and cooked in 20 minutes or less? Oriental is preferred, but occidental is fine. Dishes which can be made in a batch, and frozen can also be included. I'll look forward to your inspirational ideas.

The first thing that comes to mind is savory crepes - which usually involve a crepe, some cheese, some nice ham, and a fried egg on top.

Another one (that I don't make often enough)...from-scratch sloppy joes. People make fun of me for eating them (kids' food), but I love 'em.

Omelettes as well, filled with whatever's in the fridge, and a little side salad.

Does the 20 minutes mean start to finish or just prep time, like prep then in the oven or stovetop to finish cooking with very little to no hands on needed? A lot of the new sheet pan meals take 20 minutes or less to prep and then bake in oven.

Here's 1 start to finish, like a scramburger, similar to a sloppy Joe, but lighter and not as tomatoey.

Make a big pot of pho/ramen broth, which takes hours, though mostly inactive, BUT, freeze in portion size containers and then it takes hardly any time to make up a pho or ramen bowl.

Hamburger stroganoff.

This one is more toward to 40 minute mark, but it's great. Hot and sour soup.

Another more toward active time of 35-40 minutes with 30 minutes resting time of meatballs in fridge, though could be done earlier than that even. Lion's head meatballs.

This takes around 40-45 minutes, but it freezes well. Chicken massaman curry.

Rotini and Italian sausage and veges.

Last edited:
I have some health limitations that make it difficult for me sometimes. I've got in the habit of making make-ahead meals or starters (not appetizers, but recipe jump off points).

For examples...

Saute' onion, celery and carrots - jump off to chicken and dumplings or chicken noodle soup, etc.
Brown ground beef - jump off to spaghetti, tacos, enchiladas, etc.
Leftover chili - topping for tamales, chili mac, chili dogs, etc.
Meatballs - spaghetti and meatballs, sub sandwich, etc.
Veggies - Individual pizzas, fresh juice in juice extractor, etc.
Beans - Red beans and rice, bean soup, refried beans, etc.

Tip...I would cut up fruits and veggies to have on the way to/from work so I had snacks to break the temptation to get fast food and avoid whatever high calorie treats my co-workers brought in.

Another tip...I used my Crock-pot quite a bit when I had a family to feed. I would prep the night before and get it started the next morning. Now, I have a small one (used for sauces) and a large one. I don't eat much so the smaller one is at least two or three meals for me.

Hope this helps!

As far as Asian, ground beef with onions and spices, served as lettuce wraps. You can make them as Asian as you want. I like lettuce wraps. Tuna salad is good in them, too, and tuna salad take about five minutes to make.

I eat a lot more Western foods. Pasta is an amazing canvas for almost anything. I often make a quick sauce with canned diced tomatoes, spices and herbs while my pasta boils. They finish at about the same time.

Got bread and cheese? A grilled cheese sandwich is quick and easy. Some canned tomato soup doctored up with fresh basil and grated Parmesano Reggiano makes it a meal.

Living in Texas, I've learned to make tacos out of just about anything. That's a ten to fifteen minute meal, for me.

Tacos-1-19.jpg

CD

Grilled cheese is highly customizable, too. Add some apple, or some olives, or even some greens would work (I wouldn't do that, but that's just me), and you can get a gourmet sandwich in no time.

Exactly, when I turn grill/broiler on, toast goes in with bacon and while its warming I chop tomato and onion get everything ready. My ovens only 2 years old so it's quite quick. 10 to 12 mins max.

Russ

Exactly, when I turn grill/broiler on, toast goes in with bacon and while its warming I chop tomato and onion get everything ready. My ovens only 2 years old so it's quite quick. 10 to 12 mins max.

Russ

You just brought back a memory. We grew tomatoes in the backyard when I was a kid, and one way we ate them was grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Only works with good tomatoes, which I can't get here, so all I have is the memory. :(

CD

You just brought back a memory. We grew tomatoes in the backyard when I was a kid, and one way we ate them was grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Only works with good tomatoes, which I can't get here, so all I have is the memory. :(

CD

I know you and salt are bitter enemies, I too don't use a lot, BUT a fresh tomato picked here from the garden has to have a sprinkle of salt. Nothing like it!!

Russ

I know you and salt are bitter enemies, I too don't use a lot, BUT a fresh tomato picked here from the garden has to have a sprinkle of salt. Nothing like it!!

Russ

I've done that, but it really didn't do anything for me.

BTW, the only thing I have against salt is that it wants to kill me. :laugh:

CD

I've done that, but it really didn't do anything for me.

BTW, the only thing I have against salt is that it wants to kill me. :laugh:

CD

I know, my mum used to put about a tablespoon of salt in every cooking pot with vegetables. Just something they used to do I guess? I've never used or used sparingly my whole life. My kids are the same, basically no salt except on certain things.
Tomatoes are definitely good with salt. We planted some heirloom tomatoes last year, so sweet they are now our faves.

Russ

Rus

Green salad with avocado, sliced chili, halved, premade meatballs (of e.g. ground chicken or turkey) and ready made Asian sauce.

Green salad with strawberries, feta cheese, green bell pepper and ready made mustard sauce.

Noodles with exotic fruit fried with shredded beef, shallots and garlic. Add water or vegetable cream and season with fish sauce and soy.

Spaghetti with fried chili, garlic, a can of ready made tomato sauce and sliced prosciutto, chorizo or bacon.

Noodles or pasta with button mushrooms sautéed in butter and seasoned with garlic and parsley.

Chicken fried with chili in lemongrass and ginger paste and soaked in heavy cream, vegetable cream or coconut milk. Served with fried baby spinach and pecans or walnuts.

Cooked green beans fried in butter with a slice of bacon. Parmesan on top and a bowl of ready made miso soup on the side.

Precooked cauliflower covered with a can of curry sauce and slices of chili-flavored cheese. A quick roast in the oven. Serve with a few slices of Serrano or Parma ham.

Sprouts, rocket (arugula) and chili fried in oil, seasoned with ready made Korma sauce and served with naan bread.

Fish fillet with sage-butter, fried (large) canned capers and grated carrots.

Fried chicken breast with canned sweet’n’sour sauce and ready made potato salad.

Boiled eggs with Tabasco, canned crab meat and mayo. Served with toast covered with butter and (dried) dill.

Kimchi (chili sauerkraut), fried raw sausages and watermelon.

Defrosted shrimps and green pepper soaked in ready made miso soup.

Peppersteak with sundried tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.

Sliced baby salad covered with crumbled blue cheese; grilled in the oven. Served with fried tuna.

Back
Top Bottom