5 Ingredients of Less

DancingLady

Veteran
Local time
6:30 AM
We all have days when we don't have time to work hard in the kitchen. What are your go-to easy meals that require 5 ingredients or less?

How often do you cook simply?

Red beans and rice - I always add sausage and serve with sour cream and cheese.

Chicken pot pie - this one I can do with a rotisserie chicken, bag of frozen mixed veggies, chicken stock, and a ready made pie crust. I guess it wouldn't count if I didn't have tons of frozen homemade chicken stock or if I made the crust from scratch.

Tacos - chicken or beef; onions and peppers; cheese and tortillas. (Okay this one is a cheater because obviously there's no end to how many ingredients you can put inside a tortilla, but when we're low on stuff, this one is also good with a few ingredients as well.)

The quickest and easiest meal for me to cook is chicken chowmein. There are very few ingredients needed for this dish. These ingredients are the chowmein noodles, chicken which is cut up in small pieces and seasoned, a tin of vegetables, and tomato sauce. The chicken is fried up in onions, herbs and tomato sauce, and then added to the chowmein noodles which is first boiled and strained off. The tin of vegetables is then added to the mixture, and we have our meal all set and ready.

I tend to cook simply like once or twice a week.

I am a bit of a compli9cated cook in the sense that I do tend to use a lot of ingredients. However, Italian and Mediterranean foods often use five ingredients or less. Simple pasta dishes are quick to make. Also, meat or fish served with potatoes and two veg are simple to make. Even a non-cook can do that.

I am not sure you can call it simply just because you have few ingredients, some of the more complicated things to cook , that take both time and several steps to do has few ingredients.

But if you talk about quick meals to prepare , that take little time and not a lot of appliances to use or can be cooked without using a blender and such, then I have a few.
Oven baked , shredded cabbage, onion ( and carrot if you like), you can saute this in a bit of oil and a half cup of wine or apple juice until soft first if you like, just water can also be used, but you don't have to if you like it crunchier, or just bake it for 15 minute's before adding the rest of the ingredients. Slice the champignon's and sweet potato and then top it all with cheese.

Tomato soup: 2 tins of chopped tomatoes , chopped onion , garlic and a bit of oil and water + herbs. Bread on the side.

Stew: Chopped potatoes, carrots or swede(rutabaga), cabbage ,onion and some sort of beans or lentil , add water and cook for 20-40 minutes add pepper and salt and spice if you like.
Potato"porridge" : Cook ( or already cooked) potatoes in a bit of water, add flour and more water, into a thick porridge, not a mash. Serve with a big slab of real butter in the middle. You might use this with a soup on the side.

Back
Top Bottom