5 lb Chuck Roast recipe used for 2 lb roast.

xxxDocxxx

Local time
11:44 PM
I wonder...

How would the final dish taste if one was to use a full recipe for a 5 lb chuck roast and only used a 2 lb roast?

Would the meat risk overseasoning?
Would the liquid lose the influence of the meat too much?

Would the ‘extra’ sauce/gravy/liquid (and some carrot/onion remains) be useful for anything else besides pouring over a potato or piece of toast? And would it even be good for that? Ideas?

Thanks in advance

PS LOL- I already know how to cut a recipe in half - lol. This seems to be a popular answer from those who don't read carefully or literally :wink:

Usually you would cut the recipe in half, except you want to use the sauce for something else. As long as the meat is roasted in one piece and there is no liquid injection, there is no overseasoning.
Remaining sauce can be frozen and used in the next stew, or for a sandwich, just over noodles and baked with cheese

Last time DH made a pot roast, he used WAY too many carrots, potatoes, onion, mushrooms and parsnips. Even though there are just 2 of us now and neither one of us eats as much as we used to, he still cooks like he is cooking for an army. We had almost 3 times as much veges as meat by the time the meat was cooked. I got upset because he continues to do this for years and years and told him he had to eat every bit of those extra veges and gravy up before he could get any more deli meat for lunch. He ate veges and gravy by themselves and also over bread for about 4 days for lunch before it was all gone.

No, the meat won't be over seasoned, although if you use just water there might be some loss of flavor. I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 ratio of beef broth to water and a few good shakes of worchestershire sauce for the cooking liquid.

You could also use leftover veges and gravy, maybe even a bit of the beef if any is left, though may need to thicken gravy a little, in a pot pie with either a pastry topping or a mashed potato topping.

Last time DH made a pot roast, he used WAY too many carrots, potatoes, onion, mushrooms and parsnips. Even though there are just 2 of us now and neither one of us eats as much as we used to, he still cooks like he is cooking for an army. We had almost 3 times as much veges as meat by the time the meat was cooked. I got upset because he continues to do this for years and years and told him he had to eat every bit of those extra veges and gravy up before he could get any more deli meat for lunch. He ate veges and gravy by themselves and also over bread for about 4 days for lunch before it was all gone.

No, the meat won't be over seasoned, although if you use just water there might be some loss of flavor. I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 ratio of beef broth to water and a few good shakes of worchestershire sauce for the cooking liquid.

You could also use leftover veges and gravy, maybe even a bit of the beef if any is left, though may need to thicken gravy a little, in a pot pie with either a pastry topping or a mashed potato topping.
THANKS for the useful feedback.

Back
Top Bottom