Recipe 5 Minute Hollandaise Sauce

blades

Local time
4:23 PM
The classic method for cooking Hollandaise sauce with a double boiler has always seemed time consuming and fussy to me. The purpose of the classic method is to avoid breaking the sauce. I spent time experimenting with easier faster methods many years ago. I've read recipes that use raw egg yolks in a blender. That doesn't work for me. Here is how I produce a small batch of Hollandaise for the two of us in 5 minutes with exactly the same result as the classic method without breaking the sauce.

Ingredients

3/4 stick of butter sliced into pats
2 egg yolks
Juice of 1/4 lemon
pinch of salt in case you use unsalted butter

Method

Start with a cold (room temperature saucier pan.) This is critical. If you start with a warm pan you risk breaking the sauce. Put the ingredients into the saucier and put it on a room temperature burner that has just been set to medium temperature and start whisking the sauce. You must whisk throughout the 3 or 4 minutes of cooking time. If you don't you risk breaking the sauce. When the sauce has thickened appropriately remove it from the burner and continue whisking for another 30 seconds or so. If you fail to do this you risk breaking the sauce. It is ready to serve. Top your asparagus spears or eggs benedict and enjoy. It is simple, quick and delicious.

I've used Chef Eric Ripert's blender Hollandaise for years. The room temp egg yolks get cooked because you use a blender that has been warmed with hot water and dried, and very hot melted butter. Works every time.

I'm guessing you aren't a member of the egg bleed club?

I've used Chef Eric Ripert's blender Hollandaise for years. The room temp egg yolks get cooked because you use a blender that has been warmed with hot water and dried, and very hot melted butter. Works every time.

I also use Chef Ripert's blender method. Very easy.

CD

The classic method for cooking Hollandaise sauce with a double boiler has always seemed time consuming and fussy to me. The purpose of the classic method is to avoid breaking the sauce. I spent time experimenting with easier faster methods many years ago. I've read recipes that use raw egg yolks in a blender. That doesn't work for me. Here is how I produce a small batch of Hollandaise for the two of us in 5 minutes with exactly the same result as the classic method without breaking the sauce.

Ingredients

3/4 stick of butter sliced into pats
2 egg yolks
Juice of 1/4 lemon
pinch of salt in case you use unsalted butter

Method

Start with a cold (room temperature saucier pan.) This is critical. If you start with a warm pan you risk breaking the sauce. Put the ingredients into the saucier and put it on a room temperature burner that has just been set to medium temperature and start whisking the sauce. You must whisk throughout the 3 or 4 minutes of cooking time. If you don't you risk breaking the sauce. When the sauce has thickened appropriately remove it from the burner and continue whisking for another 30 seconds or so. If you fail to do this you risk breaking the sauce. It is ready to serve. Top your asparagus spears or eggs benedict and enjoy. It is simple, quick and delicious.

Always interested to see alternative methods and I can see this working. I'll give it a try.

A while back I experimented with Microwave Hollandaise Sauce which worked quite well: about 3 mins including prep.

fullsizeoutput_6fba.jpeg

Last edited:

I've always avoided adding hot things to eggs for fear that they will cook the eggs. But I suppose cooking the eggs is what we are doing. My method is just another approach. Yours starts with things hot and mine starts with things cold. Mine works every time as well and at least seems to me to be closer to the classic method. And it gives an excuse to get my wife involved doing things while I whisk the sauce. :)

Always interested to see alternative methods and I can see this working. I'll give it a try.

A while back I experimented with Microwave Hollandaise Sauce which worked quite well: about 3 mins including prep.

View attachment 102179

A wonderful thing about cooking is that we have different methods and ingredients to reach similar goals. I had never heard of cooking hollandaise in a microwave but now I have. One day I may have to put my whisk away.

Back
Top Bottom