50 cooking hacks

reubhole

Veteran
Local time
10:20 PM
Came across this neat picture of cooking hacks to help out in the kitchen. Hope someone can get a few neat rricks to try out, or to speed up their culinary experiences! Enjoy!

JjpIJeK.png

Attachments

• JjpIJeK.png
    JjpIJeK.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 136
Great information, I see several here that I will be using, squeezing a lemon with tongs and cutting the ice cream to serve to many people at one time.

Some really useful tips here, thanks for sharing! I especially like the dental floss idea but I don't think I'll be cooking bacon with my iron any time soon!

This is a really great post and very informative. I see some that I can definitely try out, especially the one where it says to wet the hands before shelling an egg. I needed to know how to get a boiled egg shelled properly. Squeezing a lemon with tongs is a very good idea too and one that I will try. I also like the one where we can keep a banana from ripening too quickly by wrapping clingfilm around the stalk.

Everything else mentioned in the post is very useful information and I think I will make a list of all of this to keep handy for future use.

Putting lemon in a microwave briefly will allow you to extract more juice from it ,kitchen tips are endless..but there are some good ones on that list

Just one tip I'd quibble with.

A fresh egg will sink, yes, but if it floats it isn't necessarily "off" in terms of being inedible. It just isn't as fresh. A bad egg can be bad from the day it's laid, but eggs can be quite edible (esp for being hard boiled) when they are a month or more old.

Some recipes or cooking methods need a really fresh egg, its true (like poaching), but if you throw an egg away when it floats, you're wasting edible egg.

The way to know an egg is really bad - rotten, stinking - is to crack it open!

Also, I think if I had to iron bacon to cook it, I'd just do without bacon...

There are some really great ideas in your post, thanks for sharing! As much as I enjoy cooking "from scratch" and taking my time, I'll admit, I like having some hacks around to make life a little easier sometimes.

I just saw the waffle iron hashbrowns on Pinterest over the weekend! I will be getting a waffle iron just so I can do that, lol! I have made eggs with sliced bellpepper instead of the cookie cutter idea pictured above for others who indulge in both (I don't eat peppers and I'm not that big on eggs). I'll have to remember the tongs for lemon squeezing and potato masher for avocado!

Thanks for sharing your post very informative. As I read all of them I am already thinking which are the good ideas I will try that will be of help to me in preparing and cooking foods. Great ideas! :)

Maybe this will be a bit more helpful:
Eggtest.jpg

yeah, except who carries a bucket of water with them when they go grocery shopping...? This is only good for when you want to test eggs you already HAVE

Attachments

• Eggtest.jpg
    Eggtest.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 553
Yes, that's kind of the point given the other 'hack' mentioned above that didn't elabourate on the levels of freshness

Just one tip I'd quibble with.

A fresh egg will sink, yes, but if it floats it isn't necessarily "off" in terms of being inedible. It just isn't as fresh. A bad egg can be bad from the day it's laid, but eggs can be quite edible (esp for being hard boiled) when they are a month or more old....

Also kind of speaking to that.

Back
Top Bottom