A bring you own Appetizer party.

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
9:51 AM
There are a group of people up at the summer cabin that get together on sunny Saturday late afternoons and bring platters of appetizers to go with their beer or wine. This is a ritual for us in the summer and the fare is both tasty and creative. We manage about one B.Y.O.A. party throughout the winter months.

When it comes to doing this with other groups of people, however, I have found that these things tend to be hit an miss. We get a lot of prepackaged heat and serve items and veggie platters.

If you were going to a B.Y.O.A. party what would you bring?

That is a great idea. I'd love to have one of those.
I'd make a creamy paste out of cold smoked salmon and serve it together with thin slices of white bread. (preferably a baguette) This would be best with wine.
Another option would be nachos, if we were going for more of the warm type of appetizers or drinking beer.

That sounds like a wonderful idea, I love appetizers. I would probably bring a variety plate of stuffed peppers that have all kind of tasty stuffing in them. I would probably bring my homemade clam dip and a plate full of organically grown fresh veggies on it.

It would kinda depend on what I expected others to bring.

At the last one, I brought a catered "meat rose" platter which was basically a tray of deli meats that had been rolled/shaped into roses.

To the one before that, I took pinwheels, which are basically tortillas that have been filled with cream cheese, olives, green chiles, and salt, and then sliced into 'wheels'.

This is a wonderful idea so its not a burden for just one person to supply everything. I would probably bring a blooming onion or two along with a platter of chicken wings in hot, mild and regular.

I was just thinking of this the other day, as I was making several jars of home made pickled vegetables and roasted/marinated vegetables. I've been making myself veggie sandwiches with them all week and was thinking that would be something fun to bring as an appetizer to a party. Perhaps get a thin baguette or french bread and layer on a bunch of stuff, leaf lettuce, fresh tomato, these roasted hot peppers & garlic I made, pickled onions, sweet & sour pickles, and other stuff. It's actually vegan, so it could be enjoyed by everyone, and doesn't need to be re-heated or cooked. I could even bring the components in jars or tupperware and assemble it there so it doesn't get soggy.

Back
Top Bottom