A food that can help clear up stuffiness?

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
5:19 AM
Is there a food that you can eat (not a drink) that will help clear up sinuses or issues with your throat? I know this time of year I get a bad throat sometimes and my whole face will get stuffy. Sometimes I'll drink something and it will help mildly. I was just wondering if there was a food that could further assist to that end?

Honey is the best food for throat issues. You could drizzle it on cereals and use it in fruit dishes.

For sinus problems I would recommend eating spicy food, the hot sort that makes the fluids in the head run more freely. It depends on what sort of food you like, but spicy Mexican food and any Asian dishes made with chillies could be quite effective.

I can't recommend a good, more the avoidance of one range of foods that are well known and we'll documented for increasing the amount of mucus your body products and that for product is anything with dairy in it, especially cow's dairy.

Cows dairy is particularly well known for causing sinus issues as well as creating extra mucus which is why whenever you have an upper respiratory issue cutting back on, or cutting out altogether dairy products from your diet will alleviate your symptoms and help you recover much faster. If you can't manage without dairy products in your life for a few days then cut out cows dairy and only have goat or sheep's dairy products. Goats milk is particularly easy to get hold of in the UK now and it's very mild in taste.

Is there a food that you can eat (not a drink) that will help clear up sinuses or issues with your throat? I know this time of year I get a bad throat sometimes and my whole face will get stuffy. Sometimes I'll drink something and it will help mildly. I was just wondering if there was a food that could further assist to that end?
Garlic will do the trick. Lemon water in another good choice. Ginger helps as well.

Hot Jamaican pepper for sinuses, don't know about the throat though. I learned this by accident when trying to prove that the peppers I bought were the little green sweet peppers used in making sofrito. One little tiny piece and my nose was running, my nasal/sinus passageways were definitely opened and even the pneumonia I had at the time felt a lot better as far as breathing and chest congestion improvement. I wouldn't advise this if you do not at all like or can not tolerate hot peppers though. I sure wont do it again!

I swear by this anything with hot sauce. The capsaicin in peppers has an effect of actually helping when you have a sore throat. I am not certain why it works but I can tell you it does work. I used to suffer horribly from seasonal allergy that would cause my throat to hurt and my sinuses to back up which just irritated it even more. I would go right to salsa or anything that had hot sauce and it seems to take the inflammation in the throat right down. I have also been told that horseradish clears out the sinus,

I have also found that the use of the herbal Echinacea and milk thistle seem to help with upper respiratory symptoms. The milk thistle calms coughing pretty quickly. It seems to thin the mucous quite well. The Echinacea if taken early on seems to cut the severity of a cold or allergy. I have not had a flu in many years so I don't recall if it was affective on that. This is my own personal experience, I find if I am around people that are sick, and I am often because I work with the public, and I start to feel like maybe I am coming down with it to- I go right to the Echinacea first. I also rest more and up the vitamin C, and I seem to be able to ward off most seasonal maladies.

Honey is the best food for throat issues. You could drizzle it on cereals and use it in fruit dishes.

For sinus problems I would recommend eating spicy food, the hot sort that makes the fluids in the head run more freely. It depends on what sort of food you like, but spicy Mexican food and any Asian dishes made with chillies could be quite effective.

thanks for this interesting piece of advice

I recommend fresh ginger tea. Peel a big chunk of ginger, rinse it well and cut it up into big chunks. Put those in a pot of boiling water and let it boil for 15 minute or until it is very fragrant. You can add honey as well to taste and drink this as a tea. I find it good for clearing out the sinuses, it also works for an upset stomach.

Yes, there are foods you can eat that will help. Grapes, apples and any food that contains quercetin will help because quercetin is a natural antihistamine. Eating foods high in vitamin C such as oranges will also help because large doses of vitamin C can clear up post nasal drip. Of course, as someone mentioned above, there are a number of foods you are going to want to avoid as well, and you'll want to increase your water intake to flush out your system.

Back
Top Bottom