A good meringue

frbillie

Veteran
Local time
12:30 PM
There are a few things that I like to bake and I believe they would taste better and look prettier if I knew how to make a meringue to go on top of it. I've tried to make one several times but they never cook right. By the time I take the dish out of the oven, I have a layer of flat, white "stuff" on top of it.

Does anybody have any tips to share that will perhaps help me with this problem?

There are two ways to cook meringue, I think. Either quite quickly at a higher heat, to crisp and brown the crust, but leave a fluffy inside, or long cooking at a very low temperature to dry the meringue out completely, to make the sort of thing you fill with cream and fruit to make pavlova.

If you're putting meringue on the top of something, you probably want the former method, like on a lemon meringue pie.

Make sure your egg whites aren't contaminated at all with yolk. Make sure there's plenty of air in the mix by beating the egg whites well, and then beating the sugar in well. It should be a very stuff mix - you should be able to hold the bowl upside down over your head (or someone else's head if you're not confident) and the mixture not drop out. Obviously, that's a test you might not want to do until you're really sure...

If you're putting meringue on something (like a layer of fruit in a pastry case or like a lemon meringue pie), the bottom part really needs to be pretty much cooked already, so that the meringue only needs to be in for long enough to crisp and brown the surface.

Good luck!

The one I have always done never fails.

4 egg whites at room temperature
4oz/110g caster sugar
Pinch of salt

Whisk the egg whites (must be at room temperature not out of the fridge) until very stiff, so peaks do not fold down. Whisk in the caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Cover whatever it is you are cooking with the meringue and form into soft peaks with a fork.
Cook at 200°C/400F/Gas 6 for about 15 minutes. This is for a 9 inch/23cm diameter cooking vessel.

The one I have always done never fails.

4 egg whites at room temperature
4oz/110g caster sugar
Pinch of salt

Whisk the egg whites (must be at room temperature not out of the fridge) until very stiff, so peaks do not fold down. Whisk in the caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Cover whatever it is you are cooking with the meringue and form into soft peaks with a fork.
Cook at 200°C/400F/Gas 6 for about 15 minutes. This is for a 9 inch/23cm diameter cooking vessel.

I have never been able to make meringue but will definitely try your no fail recipe. I must admit, the recipe I use is quite similar but I think I was cooking it longer. I will have to check out my recipes. I will let you know how it turns out when I make it :)

the recipe for french meringue is a given but ensure the eggs are separated properly and fresh,all the equipment you use is clean i wipe the bowel out with a lemon slice again with the salt it strengthens the albumen in the egg,make it a few times and it becomes second nature,the other meringue is Italian meringue used for baked Alaska this uses boiled sugar ,there are more types but these are the 2 main ones I've used

Back
Top Bottom