A 'new' trend for naming dogs

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
4:55 AM
There appears to be a bit of a thing for giving dogs human names. Two of our colleagues have a dog each, Trevor and Rodney, my niece and her husband have 2, Doris and Gladys.
Fair play for being different but just sure I would do that.

There appears to be a bit of a thing for giving dogs human names. Two of our colleagues have a dog each, Trevor and Rodney, my niece and her husband have 2, Doris and Gladys.
Fair play for being different but just sure I would do that.
Both our dogs have had human names, Molly & Kate. I don’t know why, but I get annoyed when dogs have non-human names, probably because I see them as peers. :)

As a kid, our dogs had non-human names, except for the one dog I named. They were Shag, Lady, Brute, Shava (I have no idea who named her that), and Walter. I named Walter.

Both our dogs have had human names, Molly & Kate. I don’t know why, but I get annoyed when dogs have non-human names, probably because I see them as peers. :)

As a kid, our dogs had non-human names, except for the one dog I named. They were Shag, Lady, Brute, Shava (I have no idea who named her that), and Walter. I named Walter.
My favorite dog ever was when I lived in Florida. I got him in the late 80s. He was a black lab, about 85 pounds, and his name was Wally. He was so cool. He had a big bad bark but he was really just a loving, sweet lap dog trapped in a big dog's body.

Cody and MJ

Our late canine was named Cartman, from South Park.

Teddy is a human name, and so is Casey. Ginger was a person on Gilligan's Island. Our family has also had a Shadow, Charity, Goldie, Lucy, Cinder, Trixie, Annabelle, Heather and Frostie. We've had a lot of dogs.

CD

Teddy is a human name, and so is Casey. Ginger was a person on Gilligan's Island. Our family has also had a Shadow, Charity, Goldie, Lucy, Cinder, Trixie, Annabelle, Heather and Frostie. We've had a lot of dogs.

CD
Every dog my one older sister has ever had was named Lucy. Short for Lucifer. I guess she had an inkling each time what she was getting into.

My grandparents dog who died back before my sister was born in '86 was called Kim, plus another we knew in the 90's was was also called Kim, though of the opposite sex.
My in-laws dog (at least the first one I knew) was called Penny...
Some of the dogs I taken care if over the years include a Daisy and Tom.
Most of my brothers cats have had human names as well, the last died very recently, she was called Annie.

And quite a few of our chooks have 'human' names as well she as Jenny, Lacy, Lilly, Vickie, lavender, Tilly, Henrietta, Harriet, Stacey. Some came with those names, others we gave.

To be honest, I can only think of 2 dogs I've known that didn't have (immediately apparent) human names, Solo and Dusty.

My grandparents dog who died back before my sister was born in '86 was called Kim, plus another we knew in the 90's was was also called Kim, though of the opposite sex.
My in-laws dog (at least the first one I knew) was called Penny...
Some of the dogs I taken care if over the years include a Daisy and Tom.
Most of my brothers cats have had human names as well, the last died very recently, she was called Annie.

And quite a few of our chooks have 'human' names as well she as Jenny, Lacy, Lilly, Vickie, lavender, Tilly, Henrietta, Harriet, Stacey. Some came with those names, others we gave.

To be honest, I can only think of 2 dogs I've known that didn't have (immediately apparent) human names, Solo and Dusty.
But there is Hans Solo from Star Wars! And one of my daughters once had a boyfrirnd named Dusty.

But there is Hans Solo from Star Wars! And one of my daughters once had a boyfrirnd named Dusty.
Hence why i put immediately apparent in brackets because I'd thought of Dusty Springfield... and I don't think Solo was actually named after Han Solo but for the fact he was the sole male in the litter

My Brother-in-Law told me he'd called his dog Fido. "That's a bit boring isn't it?" I asked. "Not spelt Phyddough", he retorted.

We have two cats. A male called "Black Cat" and a female called "Dennis". The vet calls her "Danish". "Tortoiseshell Cat" was a bit of a mouthful (we've previously had cats called "Gray Cat", "White Cat" and another "Black Cat").

Last edited:
My Brother-in-Law told me he'd called his dog Fido. "That's a bit boring isn't it?" I asked. "Not spelt Phyddough", he retorted.

We have two cats. A male called "Black Cat" and a female called "Dennis". The vet calls her "Danish". "Tortoiseshell Cat" was a bit of a mouthful (we've previously had cats called "Gray Cat", "White Cat" and another "Black Cat").

You've just reminded me of 3 of our chickens
Julia white, Julia Grey and Julia Black. They were all for a friend called Julia, no prizes for guessing what colour they were! Lol

In our high school “animal kingdom” class, the imaginary dog that figured into a lot of lessons was named Phydeux.

My grandad always had a dog, and every last one was named Sam.

Hence why i put immediately apparent in brackets because I'd thought of Dusty Springfield... and I don't think Solo was actually named after Han Solo but for the fact he was the sole male in the litter
Yes, I was being facetious.

I prefer giving pets non-human names (or at least if human, obscure ones). Mom was very upset when I was a youngun, knowing a neighbor down the street had named her dog, "Lucy" - my Mom's name.

Back
Top Bottom