A 'new' trend for naming dogs

Did you find him in Morecambe?

No. We acquired him in Leeds when we lived in Doncaster then he spent some time in Scunthorpe. There, he had a disagreement with our Jack Russell (Dyllan) and flew away. How he knew that our next destination would be North Wales, I've no idea.

It has been a rough week. We had to put our lab down unexpectedly on TUE. I am a mess. He was only 6. He developed an autoimmune disorder that attacked the muscles in his jaw and head.

It was devastating to out family. I am tearing up simply typing this.

So sorry, how awful. sending love to you all.

Dog name story:

My brother (yes, Lee again) divorced and for a couple of years lived the life of a sort of hobo, keeping everything he owned in storage, and spending his nights couch-surfing among friends and family, while he searched for a little plot of land and eventually built himself a woodsy little cabin.

During that time, he picked up a dog that everyone else had given up on, she was rather bonkers (there were only two people she liked; Lee and me). He fixed up the bed of his truck (complete with camper shell) into a deluxe dog sanctuary, and that’s where the dog lived. When he was at work, the dog stayed in the back of the truck, and he’d tend to her during the day.

When I first met her (I wasn’t living around here then), I asked him her name, and he said, “Aw well…we’re both just a couple of hobos, so that’s what I’m callin’ her…Hobo.”

Ok, that’s fine, I suppose.

A couple of years went by, he built his house, moved in with Hobo, and shortly after that, met a woman who would eventually become his third wife.

The day I met her, I showed up at his house for a visit, walked through the front door, and the first thing I asked was, “Where’s my girl Hobo?” - she walked over (that dog rarely ran anywhere), plopped down, and I commenced giving her my signature dog ear massage, neck rub, and shoulder squeeze. She loved that.

I was talking to Hobo during all this, saying things like, “How’s ol’ Hobo feelin’ today? Good ol’ Hobo,” when his girlfriend popped out of the kitchen - keep in mind, I’ve never met this person before.

“Oh, we’re not calling her that name anymore,” and at this point she adopted an operatic sing-song voice not unlike Julia Child, “I’ve rechristened her 🎶 Fair Lady Hyacinth of the Queen’s Royal Wood! 🎶 “ - his property was wooded, and I suppose she saw herself as the queen of it.

😳

I paused for about three seconds, looked at her, then back to the dog, and continued with, “You like havin’ your ears rubbed, dontcha Hobo? That’s right, Hobo!” :laugh:

It has been a rough week. We had to put our lab down unexpectedly on TUE. I am a mess. He was only 6. He developed an autoimmune disorder that attacked the muscles in his jaw and head.

It was devastating to out family. I am tearing up simply typing this.
I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to lose a good friend.

A related but not totally relevant point for dogs here in Venezuela.
Mnay people seem to train their dogs in English or in German. Simple reason: it's much easier for a dog to understand "Sit/sitzen!", "Lie/platz! " "Here/hier!" "Out/raus!" than "sientate", "acuestate" "ven acá " or "fuera". Far too many syllables!
My dog's dyslexic, however. I tell him "Out!" and he lays down. "Bread" and he comes "here" :laugh: :laugh:

I have no idea what are popular dog names in other countries, but here in Portugal a classic dog name is "Bobbi" (ready as Bobby).

Back in the day when I lived with my parents, our neighbor had a dog named "Love". We used to joke that they called the dog "Love" and probably called their spouse "Bobbi" :D

But we see the trend of people giving people's names to their dogs here too. Here it's usually old fashioned, "heavy" sounding names.

I don't have pets but if I did I'd name them after gods from Egyptian, Greek and Sumerian mythology. And my mom's dog is called "Benny" which not a human name here.

I have no idea what are popular dog names in other countries, but here in Portugal a classic dog name is "Bobbi" (ready as Bobby).

Back in the day when I lived with my parents, our neighbor had a dog named "Love". We used to joke that they called the dog "Love" and probably called their spouse "Bobbi" :D

But we see the trend of people giving people's names to their dogs here too. Here it's usually old fashioned, "heavy" sounding names.

I don't have pets but if I did I'd name them after gods from Egyptian, Greek and Sumerian mythology. And my mom's dog is called "Benny" which not a human name here.
My dads dogs also called Benny, very much a human name here!

My sister has just been told by her new vet that she needs to increase how much she feeds her Shar Pei. She's been told to increase it by 20%, from 500g to 600g per day!

Apparently, she's lean and exceptionally fit for her age (although she's only 8 yrs old, that is the average life span of that breed). My sister is blaming my husband (in a friendly way). When we first went back to the UK in 2019, he would take my sister's dog out for a walk 3 times a day. Just after a week, my sister noticed a massive improvement in both her dog's health and behaviour...(We also had to teach my sister how to handle a dog as well.) After 3 weeks Bella wanted to go out 3 times a day... and so my sister started to walk her 2 or 3 times a day. Now she walks her 3 times a day and they're 20-30 minute walks... the result is that the single protein diet Bella is on, is now going to cost my sister 20% more because she needs to increase Bella's feed....

I did ask her if she asked the vet how many times he has had to tell someone to increase the food, not decrease it, but she didn't.

My sister has just been told by her new vet that she needs to increase how much she feeds her Shar Pei. She's been told to increase it by 20%, from 500g to 600g per day!

Apparently, she's lean and exceptionally fit for her age (although she's only 8 yrs old, that is the average life span of that breed). My sister is blaming my husband (in a friendly way). When we first went back to the UK in 2019, he would take my sister's dog out for a walk 3 times a day. Just after a week, my sister noticed a massive improvement in both her dog's health and behaviour...(We also had to teach my sister how to handle a dog as well.) After 3 weeks Bella wanted to go out 3 times a day... and so my sister started to walk her 2 or 3 times a day. Now she walks her 3 times a day and they're 20-30 minute walks... the result is that the single protein diet Bella is on, is now going to cost my sister 20% more because she needs to increase Bella's feed....

I did ask her if she asked the vet how many times he has had to tell someone to increase the food, not decrease it, but she didn't.

I just bought a bag of the high protein, low calorie Science Diet dogfood my mom's dog needs. It was $56.00!!! That's double what it cost for a larger bag of Teddy's food.

As soon as the weather is reasonable, I plan to take her for walks, my goal is every day. That will be good for both of us. She doesn't mind the cold, but I do.

CD

Back
Top Bottom