A sticky pan

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
7:22 AM
I have an old non - stick frying pan that has lost its non - stick - ness
The PTFE coating is very worn, down to the metal - aluminium - in some places

Is there any way of restoring its non - stick - ness?

On the other hand, it must be over 30 years old by now, and I've had my money's worth out of it
Perhaps I should just scrap it and buy a new one?

To be honest its probably not worth saving.

The only way I know to produce a non stick surface on an old pan is to use salt and oil. Heat a little oil to a high temperature in the pan. Add a good dose of salt and heat a few more seconds. Take off heat and use a wad of kitchen paper to rub all round the surface, applying pressure. The kitchen paper should end up looking a bit brown. Keep rubbing for a minute or so then rinse off with cold water.

Non-stick pans have a life span. I think you have gotten your money's worth out of that pan. Get a new one.

CD

Last edited:
To be honest its probably not worth saving.

The only way I know to produce a non stick surface on an old pan is to use salt and oil. Heat a little oil to a high temperature in the pan. Add a good dose of salt and heat a few more seconds. Take off heat and use a wad of kitchen paper to rub all round the surface, applying pressure. The kitchen paper should end up looking a bit brown. Keep rubbing for a minute or so then rinse off with cold water.

Never heat a Teflon pan to high heat. At high temperatures, PTFE/PFOA give off carcinogenic fumes. Limit use of your Teflon pans to low or medium heat cooking.

The Dangers of Teflon: The Truth Without The Hype For 2020

CD

Non-stick pans have a life span. I think you have gotten your money's worth out of that pan. Get a new one.

CD
Yes, I've come to that conclusion as well

There are a couple of stores near me with reasonable kitchen departments, but thanks to The Lockdown they are closed at the moment
When they reopen I'll pay them a visit

Also thanks to The Lockdown I haven't been anywhere to speak of, so I've been saving money
I have some other pans that are old & scruffy, so I think I'll have a tidy out and replace those
I might just treat myself to a new 6" chef's knife as well

There's nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer yourself up when you've been stuck indoors for most of the past 2 or 3 months

I’ve just had a new set of Circulon pans delivered, my old ones lasted 15 years so I’m hoping for at least the same from these, excellent quality.

Agreed. That is why since being on lockdown I have bought a stand mixer, a full set of 3 sizes of dutch ovens, an instant pot and a slew of new accessories i.e. wisks, spatulas, wooden spoons, etc.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion as well

There are a couple of stores near me with reasonable kitchen departments, but thanks to The Lockdown they are closed at the moment

Also thanks to The Lockdown I haven't been anywhere to speak of, so I've been saving money
I have some other pans that are old & scruffy, so I think I'll have a tidy out and replace those
I might just treat myself to a new 6" chef's knife as well

There's nothing like a bit of retail therapy to cheer yourself up when you've been stuck indoors for most of the past 2 or 3 months

I’ve just had a new set of Circulon pans delivered, my old ones lasted 15 years so I’m hoping for at least the same from these, excellent quality.

Your Circulon pans lasted longer than mine then - but its probably how I used abused them.

Can't you buy stuff on-line? Generally you can get it cheaper than in stores.

The best non-stick pan we have ever purchased is a large Scanpan skillet. It came with a lid and was $300.00. Expensive, but so is Le Creuset, CI cookware. You can also use metal utensils with it.

Can't you buy stuff on-line? Generally you can get it cheaper than in stores.
[/QUOTE]

I could buy online, but I'd prefer to have a look and feel at them if possible, and certainly for a knife

The stores are -

TKMaxx in Burnley and Boundary Mill in Colne
Neither of them are exclusively kitchen stores, but they are reasonable enough, and the one at Boundary Mill is quite big and well stocked
Their prices are quite cheap too

I've had Henkels Twin Pollux and Kai knives from TKMaxx at about half price; they have other brands too
However, they don't carry a large range or regular stock , you have to call a few times to see what they have - all part of the fun

Boundary Mill has a bigger range, but still cheaper than full price
Both of them have a range of pans

I've just checked the opening times on their Websites - Boundary is closed for the forseeable future but TKMaxx state they will be open from this Friday. It's close enough, so I'll call in as part of my regular Lockdown walk

However, none of these purchases are urgent, I can manage with my old stuff for a while longer

I've bought other things from them - colander, chopping boards, measuring jug, a casserole pan, a wok, and I've never felt that I needed to go anywhere else

Back
Top Bottom