A whole lot of yummy

kana_marie

Veteran
Local time
7:12 PM
My husband and I took a few meat chickens off ofnanchicken farmer out here. Part of their contract with the big chicken company is that they will thin out the chicken population by 40 birds a day. These were going to get slaughtered, so he let us take them. I don't know what they did to the birds, but the 3 that survived through the last summer and fall ended up being the biggest birds I've ever seen. The hen, Babs, made it to 12 lbs before dying of natural causes. Then the one you see here is the rooster Steve. After taking its head and the insides, and the skin away you're looking at a 16 lb bird. We have one left. His name is Albert, and he's the biggest yet. The thing about these birds is they aren't afraid of anyone. My laying hens and their rooster aren't afraid of me. They'll run up to me very time into outside ( they free range). But these birds, they. Are completely tamed. You can pick them up and take them where ever you want... As long as nothing is dangling.
image.jpg

I can eat most things and I'm a ambassador of you eat what you are bought up on ,but I could not eat a pet now ,I had a cock bird called Sydney he attacked every one,he went through the green house ,hit my wife and infected her with his spur ,I dealt with him but no way could I eat him,my neighbour plucked him and had him but me ,no way!
British Royal Marines get to look after a rabbit for a while and then get to eat it latter ,never really see what lesson it taught ,as if you are hungry you basically eat any thing,the other thing they get to try is a earth worm omelette ,tastes like prawn!

I had to detach myself from the meat chickens. I didnt with Babs. She really was more of a pet than anything. She was the first "big one". She wasn't cooked. And my laying hens, I don't care when they quit laying, I won't eat them. When Steve first got killed it was horrible. And if he hadn't taken the head off I would have never touched it. But I knew from the time we brought him home that he had a very specific purpose. Once you start cleaning a chicken, anyway, its nothing like a live chicken. It's seriously nothing but a huge 16 lb just like you would buy from the store.

This is a situation ,why some people go vegetarian on morale issues,or at least one of them,
You drive around the country side and see bleating lambs ,muddy pigs,cute pheasants and they can't look at them and believe they will be dispatched for their use,the plastic tray wrapped in the supermarket has no connection
For many people ,they can look at a animal and not come to that conclusion,they are unable to put the 2 and 2 together ,
l have seen cows veal and pigs slaughtered ,not nice but I dealt with it morally in my own way ,
I can dispatch smaller animals,but I would never eat a pet or something I had reared,I find mass fishing really cruel ,and thus eat mainly quickly dispatched,line caught ,shooting for sport is another one ,you should shoot or dispatch for your own use not if you don't know we're it is going,or if it is used ,I have been involved on a estate and ensure enough dealers are ready to take the game,I have a friend that is a taxidermist he never gets screamish is at any issue,he does get called to some crazy situations,pest control to me is ok if you can't control it,but when you eat a loaf of bread a herd of deer may have been moved on ,or a muntjac shot that was damaging the crop,pigeons shot ".........where i really draw the line is when birds of prey are shot as they kill game birds young,sorry if I have been a bit frank about the subject ,and I am sure we all have our own views ,I am afraid to say I sit on the fence a lot of the time ,and do agree with both sides ,we'll to certain extent as food and its providence is part of my life and what I get paid for

Once I've seen a live bird or animal, and then sit down to eat it, knowing that I saw that same bird or animal alive, I just couldn't bring myself to eating it!!
Same thing with seeing one killed for meat!! I once saw a pig slaughtered for meat, and I stopped eating pork for about a year!!! :ohmy: :( :headshake::stop:

Back
Top Bottom