About mugs and teacups

Local time
7:22 AM
I can remember years ago when I was a child, that we would always drink our beverages from a teacup. Teacups and saucers were popular in those days. Nowadays I don't think there are many people who use teacups on a daily basis. Mugs are much more popular. However, if one attends a tea party or other outing where tea or coffee is being served, teacups are always used on these occasions. Another occasion when teacups and saucers may be used is when one is having guests for tea.

We still have some old teacups and saucers in our cabinet, but mugs are what we use on a daily basis.

Do any of you still use teacups for drinking your beverages or are you completely into mugs?

I use mugs when I am alone and bring out the tea cups if someone comes over. I think one reason is that teacups break much more easily than mugs, so I would rather be using the sturdier mugs on a daily basis as they can withstand being washed over and over without losing a handle like a dainty little teacup might with heavy use.

I can't remember when I last drank anything from a cup, it's always a mug. Some tea shops and fancy restaurants will still use cups, but I don't know anyone who uses them at home now.

Cups are no just more fragile, they also hold less liquid so you have to keep topping them up. As teapots are used less now, it makes sense to make a mug of tea rather than a single cup.

We never used tea cups when I was younger so I've grown used to drinking from mugs. It's why I appreciate the experience a lot more when I order coffee or tea at a restaurant because it's somehow more fulfilling to drink from a cup than a mug, at least for me. When I get my own house I will certainly have tea cups so I can have a special experience everyday at snack time.

Mugs are easier to hold and more casual. Usually I only use a cup and saucer if it is someone I don't know, but most people prefer a mug. Even if I have an espresso, I leave the saucer and just use the cup. They look nice as set, but I see it as more washing up to be honest. They can be useful if you are serving biscuits so people can rest the biscuit on the side of the saucer though, so it depends on the situation!

Err, I actually don't own any teacups! Not sure what that says about me but it is a mug or a mug in this household :laugh:

:laugh: It says to me your are a regular "Joe" or "Jill":). I saw some teacups the other day and wondered if I am ever going to use them. Maybe if I entertain some English guest. We will see how that goes.

I a "MUGGER" plain and simple. Anyone from the UK here? I suspect they might me more "teacup" people.

:laugh: It says to me your are a regular "Joe" or "Jill":). I saw some teacups the other day and wondered if I am ever going to use them. Maybe if I entertain some English guest. We will see how that goes.

I a "MUGGER" plain and simple. Anyone from the UK here? I suspect they might me more "teacup" people.
I'm from the UK! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom