Accents and dialects

My paternal grandparents spoke French and broken English. When Dad started school he was held back a year to improve his English. He attened a Catholic School for boys. No French was allowed on the school grounds.
My maternal grandmother was of French origin. My Grandfather is a decendant of Lord Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley. Unfortunately his legacy is from the wrong side of the sheets. French was not spoken in their household.
Dad did not teach us to speak French. He did not want us stigmatized as he was. I wish he had taught us to speak French.
Both of my parents insisted that we speak properly. No dees, dem, der, dose. No Cajun slang.
I did not appreciate their efforts until my late 20's when I began to travel to different regions of the U.S. People could not guess where I was from. Some did guess the south. That was more from cadence than accent.
My Brother's wife is origionally from Boston. She does not have a Boston accent. She lived in Texas for many years and has lived in Denver, Co. for decades. SIL is a brilliant woman. She is a medical research scientist with 2 PhD's and numerous certifications in specialized fields. She is Vice President of Research and Development of a pharmaceutical lab in Denver. A very smart, down to earth lady. She loves her Louisiana in-laws and she loves Louisiana.
Early in their relationship my Brother took her to Poche's Meat Market in Breaux Bridge, La. Breaux Bridge is a small, rural town. Cajun French is spoken in many households and the locals have a heavy Cajun accent. Cliff and Patti purchased speciality meats and plate lunches. The shop employes and customers were speaking broken Breaux Bridge Englilsh. SIL was as wide eyed as a deer in the headlights. Completely speachless. As they walked out of the shop she yanked my brother's sleeve and asked "What language were they speaking?"
We all had a good laugh.
When I visited London in '93 I was tagged as a Yank but none of the Brits guessed that I was from Louisiana.
Thank you Mom and Dad.
I hate the hunting and fishing shows that depict people from Louisiana as having heavy, broken accents. The shows foster the impression that people from Louisiana are ignorant, live in shacks in the swamp and keep aligators for pets.
I can put on a heavy Cajun accent if I want to tell a joke or if I want to jack with a telemarketer.
Pet peeve: individuals who mimic the regional accent of a person they are speaking to. I find that insulting and condescending.

My paternal grandparents spoke French and broken English. When Dad started school he was held back a year to improve his English. He attened a Catholic School for boys. No French was allowed on the school grounds.
My maternal grandmother was of French origin. My Grandfather is a decendant of Lord Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley. Unfortunately his legacy is from the wrong side of the sheets. French was not spoken in their household.
Dad did not teach us to speak French. He did not want us stigmatized as he was. I wish he had taught us to speak French.
Both of my parents insisted that we speak properly. No dees, dem, der, dose. No Cajun slang.
I did not appreciate their efforts until my late 20's when I began to travel to different regions of the U.S. People could not guess where I was from. Some did guess the south. That was more from cadence than accent.
My Brother's wife is origionally from Boston. She does not have a Boston accent. She lived in Texas for many years and has lived in Denver, Co. for decades. SIL is a brilliant woman. She is a medical research scientist with 2 PhD's and numerous certifications in specialized fields. She is Vice President of Research and Development of a pharmaceutical lab in Denver. A very smart, down to earth lady. She loves her Louisiana in-laws and she loves Louisiana.
Early in their relationship my Brother took her to Poche's Meat Market in Breaux Bridge, La. Breaux Bridge is a small, rural town. Cajun French is spoken in many households and the locals have a heavy Cajun accent. Cliff and Patti purchased speciality meats and plate lunches. The shop employes and customers were speaking broken Breaux Bridge Englilsh. SIL was as wide eyed as a deer in the headlights. Completely speachless. As they walked out of the shop she yanked my brother's sleeve and asked "What language were they speaking?"
We all had a good laugh.
When I visited London in '93 I was tagged as a Yank but none of the Brits guessed that I was from Louisiana.
Thank you Mom and Dad.
I hate the hunting and fishing shows that depict people from Louisiana as having heavy, broken accents. The shows foster the impression that people from Louisiana are ignorant, live in shacks in the swamp and keep aligators for pets.
I can put on a heavy Cajun accent if I want to tell a joke or if I want to jack with a telemarketer.
Pet peeve: individuals who mimic the regional accent of a person they are speaking to. I find that insulting and condescending.

When Terry Bradshaw entered the NFL (American Football), he was written off as a stupid Louisiana country boy. Now he has four Super Bowl Rings, a permanent bust in the NFL Hall of Fame, and makes more money at age 73 than many people will make in a lifetime.

CD

Pet peeve: individuals who mimic the regional accent of a person they are speaking to. I find that insulting and condescending
I have to be exceptional careful when talking to another person from Scotland, especially Glasgow. I tend to slip back to my old accent and I know how easily it can be taken the wrong way! If I'm tired or angry it also be can become apparent...
asked "What language were they speaking?"
My husband is like that in Scotland... I have to 'translate'...

Back
Top Bottom