Adding Tags

Ahhh hello! I'm new here and a little stupid at the best of times. How exactly do you add tags to a new recipe thread? I see no button or obvious drop down...:headshake:
When you post a new recipe you will see a box at the bottom, labelled tags, below the 'window' where you type your recipe. Tags are automatically generated but you can delete or add to them.

New members are not permitted initially to add tags even though the feature will be visible to them. This is to prevent potential spammers from abusing the system. Once you have been a member for long enough and made enough posts you will be able to add tags to your posts (not just recipes). Recipes also benefit from having the recipe prefix added.

To see how to do this, please look at this both of these support threads (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/marking-recipes-as-recipes.5139/) on how to add the recipe prefix which you will be able to do and this one on how to add tags when you have been a member long enough (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tags.6261/).

In the meantime, if you use the report button to report your own recipe and tell me what tags you would like adding, I can do it for you.

SNSSO

New members are not permitted initially to add tags even though the feature will be visible to them. This is to prevent potential spammers from abusing the system. Once you have been a member for long enough and made enough posts you will be able to add tags to your posts (not just recipes). Recipes also benefit from having the recipe prefix added.

To see how to do this, please look at this both of these support threads (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/marking-recipes-as-recipes.5139/) on how to add the recipe prefix which you will be able to do and this one on how to add tags when you have been a member long enough (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tags.6261/).

In the meantime, if you use the report button to report your own recipe and tell me what tags you would like adding, I can do it for you.

SNSSO

I didn't realise new members couldn't tag! This is a bit of a problem when encouraging new members to enter the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I do understand the issue regarding spammers - but... I often invite and encourage new members to post in the Challenge. What should we advise them to do? Until now I've referred them to your top post in the Challenge thread. :scratchhead:

I didn't realise new members couldn't tag! This is a bit of a problem when encouraging new members to enter the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. I do understand the issue regarding spammers - but... I often invite and encourage new members to post in the Challenge. What should we advise them to do? Until now I've referred them to your top post in the Challenge thread. :scratchhead:
They are just best reporting their own post with the report button and I'll do it for them. I think it is only 5 posts that they need to make before they can add tags, so it is not as though they need to wait months.
@Sable Beech now has 7 posts so that would explain why she can now use them. But I'll check with @Shaun as to how many posts it is.

They are just best reporting their own post with the report button and I'll do it for them. I think it is only 5 posts that they need to make before they can add tags, so it is not as though they need to wait months.
@Sable Beech now has 7 posts so that would explain why she can now use them. But I'll check with @Shaun as to how many posts it is.
Sorry if I'm being thick... not sure what you mean by the report button (and if I'm not sure, then I'm thinking that new members wouldn't be either). Can you advise how to word a post to new members regarding entering the Recipe Challenge?

Oh...I see that you I can report a post by clicking on the link at the bottom of the message when it has been posted. So - we need to advise new members that if the tag option isn't available to them then they should post the recipe and then use the report button to say they wish to enter the Challenge? I really do understand the need for site protection - but I have the feeling that these instructions might put folks off!

I've been posting to other cooking forum competitions and they don't seem to require this protocol. With the Guardian recipe swap, there is a delay before your recipe is posted - so presumably its checked. With Jamie Oliver's forum you simply post the recipe in the challenge thread. With ChefTalk you can also simply add a recipe to the Challenge thread.

Anyway, we are getting a reasonable number of entries so its good! And its absolutely deluging down here with thunder and lightening. Summer!

New members can use (add) any currently existing tags to their threads; however they cannot create (add) brand new tags to the overall site-wide tag list - that comes in as a later privilege.

So new members can use the recipe challenge tag, they just need to type it into the tag box when making their recipe threads.

As @SatNavSaysStraightOn suggests though, if anyone struggles to tag their recipe thread for the challenge, just click 'report' under the first post text and tell us and we'll add it for you. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

@Sable Beech @SatNavSaysStraightOn @morning glory - apologies. I've just checked permissions for new members and tags were not enabled. Sorry. I thought I'd set them up so they could be used but not created. Ooopss ... :oops:

I've now enabled the use of tags for new members so you should now be able to add the "recipe challenge" tag to any recipes you post.

Cheers,

@Sable Beech @SatNavSaysStraightOn @morning glory - apologies. I've just checked permissions for new members and tags were not enabled. Sorry. I thought I'd set them up so they could be used but not created. Ooopss ... :oops:

I've now enabled the use of tags for new members so you should now be able to add the "recipe challenge" tag to any recipes you post.

Cheers,
Oh good! I'm glad that's now sorted out! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom