Advice on using my new Instant Pot

elsmandino

Veteran
Local time
7:07 PM
Hi,

Thanks to previous advice on here, I ended up purchasing an Instant Pot Lux60 and am so pleased I did - use it at least 3-4 times a week.

However, I have just a couple of questions:

1. The particular model I bought can do both steaming and pressure cooking. When would you ever use steaming when pressure cooking seems to be the much better way? Are there foods that really should be steamed instead?

I did a test with red cabbage recently and pressure cooking was so much tastier.

2. The cooker has a metal insert that raises food off the bottom of the pot - when is this used? I have only ever used it on the rare occasion that I have steamed but are there times when I should be using it for pressure cooking as well?

Thanks

Glad to hear you're finding it useful :)

I use the steam function for things that I would normally steam on the hob/in a steamer - mostly hard vegetables such as carrots or potatoes. For steaming its important to use the trivet: according to the manual the steam programme keeps the heat at full power constantly so anything directly on the bottom may burn.

I pretty much only use the manual, slow cook and steam functions though - for rice I find I get a better result with the manual program rather than the rice one.

I use the trivet for anything I think might catch on the bottom, or if I don't want the food to actually sit in the juice/water. I also use it if I'm doing a big piece of meat so that the liquid has enough contact with the bottom to heat up quickly - I just think it works better.

I've found this website really useful for advice on pressure cooking in general and how to convert recpies: http://www.hippressurecooking.com There is also a chart of pressure cooking times for pretty much all food which I've found extremely useful.

Even though many electric pressure cookers on the market these days like to sell themselves as being able to perform multiple cooking functions beside just pressure cooking - the reality is they don't do any of those additional things particularly well. For example, many electric pressure cookers can also be used as a slow cooker, but they're not ideal since you cannot see your food through a glass lid like you would with a slow cooker. They may also not heat as evenly as a slow cooker would since they have a metal pot touching against a heating element, as opposed to a thicker ceramic pot which would distribute the heat more evenly.

You can also brown stuff in electric pressure cookers, but again, since the base of the pot is relatively small in diameter, you have to brown stuff in a bunch of small batches to get any color. As for steaming, I would say, more delicate vegetables, such as broccoli, would be more appropriate to steam vs. pressure cook. The few times I've tried to pressure cook a meal with fresh broccoli, the pressure cooker pulverized the broccoli even after just a few minutes of cooking time - and it came out really mushy and grey/green.

That said, if you were bringing this on something like a camping trip, or perhaps in a place where you didn't have a full kitchen, the multi functionality of it is better than nothing.

Lucky you! I would love an instant pot, but already have 2 expensive pressure cookers. :cry:Let us know how it is going and what you cook!

I prefer steaming rice and veggies. I can never seem to get the rice how I like it in the pressure cooker. And veggies cook too quickly and get mushy.

Lucky you! I would love an instant pot, but already have 2 expensive pressure cookers. :cry:Let us know how it is going and what you cook!

I prefer steaming rice and veggies. I can never seem to get the rice how I like it in the pressure cooker. And veggies cook too quickly and get mushy.

have you tried the Sistema, microwave rice cooker? they are GREAT! and clean up Really easy! I have this one. Rice is done in 15 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Sistema-10-9-...=UTF8&qid=1459270160&sr=8-12&keywords=sistema

Thanks for the suggestion @Chef00 but I do not use a microwave :wink: I am a bit old fashioned in my rice cooking. Enameled cast iron pot, 2 to 1 broth to rice, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover and don't peek until 25 min. for white rice or quinoa and 45 min. for brown rice. Comes out perfect every time!

@OhioTom76 I love your idea of taking the Instant Pot camping or where you do not have a kitchen. When we go travel and stay in hotels, I bring a crock pot and a hot plate with a couple of pans. Maybe my husband will buy me an Instant Pot next time we travel! :okay:

do you freeze your extra rice? it's a great way to store it and cooks up in 1 minute in the micro. I portion ming out in 1 cup per bag. while it's still warm seal bag, then flatten to a pancake; let it come to room temp then freeze. when ready just pull out of freezer break in half. Put it in a bowl add 1 tablespoon water, cover and nuke for 1 minute on high. Perfect rice.

@Chef00 Yes, I always cook extra of everything and freeze! I don't use a microwave, but thaw then add to whatever we are eating it with and it warms right up.

@Chef00 Yes, I always cook extra of everything and freeze! I don't use a microwave, but thaw then add to whatever we are eating it with and it warms right up.
Me too! LOL! I always cook for leftovers. sometimes it doesn't work out when others get a little piggy with their favorites. LOL

Back
Top Bottom