Afternoon Tea, Anyone?

When we bought that afternoon tea stand pictured at the top of this thread, I was disappointed that there were no matching cups/mugs, and salad plates on offer.

When we got home, I figured I’d just go online and certainly find some at their website…nope!
You were looking in the wrong country.
William Morris crockery

Here are some more quirky afternoon teas in London (including some of Tasty´s entries):
Weird afternoon tea
The Gent´s versions are interesting, but I don´t see a single one which uses Patum Peperium - Gentleman´s Relish
That tea by Heston is my ultimate life dream to experience. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely I can ever go there with my conditions. But who knows.

And that Indian tea sounds like something cool to try at home!

Kiwi version growing up.
Late 60s . Me 10 and doing nothing on a Sunday. Mum all weekend prepping for afternoon tea on Sunday when her parents came to visit. Baking tiny cakes and decorating cutting middle bit and filling with cream. Butterfly cakes. Pikelets cream and jam. Club Sammy's arranged on a plate like tastys. We got leftovers if there were any. I've never had afternoon tea since. I think I got my attention to detail from my mum.

Russ

Today’s afternoon tea:

A3816708-8AA3-4639-B516-5641813F87A4.jpeg

Gorgeous! 😍
Thank you!

This is maybe the fifth for six AT I’ve done at home, and for the first time, I think I had everything ready at about the same time, so I’m getting the timing down, that’s for sure.

Day before:
Make the cake
Make the egg mayonnaise filling
Make the little puddings/custards
Make the cake pudding/custard filling

Day of (morning):
Fill the little milk/creamer jug
Fill the jam pot
Fill the clotted cream pot
Set the table

Day of (afternoon):
Salt and drain cucumber slices
Make the scones; while they’re baking/cooling:
Assemble the sandwiches
Assemble the cake fingers
Make the tea; while that’s steeping, load up the stand with the food

I wondered whether I´d posted a recipe and yes, I had: The Queen´s Scones
When I make these, (instructions here from my bro, who worked 20 years as a pro!) the dough is rolled out to about 1" - 1 1/2" thickness (more if you like) then the scones are placed on the baking sheet. they don´t rise very much, but it means they´re moist and nicely cooked in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom