Air Fryers and Panko: got any tips?

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
8:53 PM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
Hello!
So I'm not an expert on this thing yet, wife got an air fryer a few years back and I largely ignored it. However recently I have been trying to use it more, and I specifically want to learn how to make better battered or breadcrumb coated foods instead of deep frying them.
Here is what I am talking about:
20210310_195752.jpg

This is a Pork Katsu I made last month, but it doesn't look like the authentic, deep-fried, version. I used spray oil and cooked it at 360 degrees for 10 minutes on each side. I also tried less time at 400, but the edges were a bit burnt while the panko on the flat sides was similarly inconsistent in color. The cutlet is still cooked through, but how does one get a uniform golden color from an air fryer?

The cutlet is still cooked through, but how does one get a uniform golden color from an air fryer?

I think its simply a problem with air fryers. Its never going to cook the coating as evenly as a fast deep fry. I use a halogen cooker which is similar to an air fryer and have the same issue. Maybe those really expensive models are better at it (mine is not an expensive one). Which air fryer are you using?

I am on my second Philips Air Fryer and I think it's one of the greatest kitchen inventions of recent times. Air Fryers are really, really awesome for certain things cooked in healthy way and sometimes indistinguishable from deep fried.

Breadcrumbed or battered items are not those things.

You might experiment with coating the items in oil in order to simulate the uniform golden-brown colouring but then you'll presumably be defeating the purpose of using the AF to reduce the amount of oil you consume.

When a battered or crumbed item such as katsu ( usually with some binding liquid such as egg wash) hits hot oil, every part of it is cooked and sealed and coloured simultaneously by virtue of it being in contact with the hot liquid medium. You can't get that in an air-fryer - at least I've never been able to achieve that.

In my book, for katsu, deep frying is the right tool for the job.

I am on my second Philips Air Fryer and I think it's one of the greatest kitchen inventions of recent times. Air Fryers are really, really awesome for certain things cooked in healthy way and sometimes indistinguishable from deep fried.

Breadcrumbed or battered items are not those things.

You might experiment with coating the items in oil in order to simulate the uniform golden-brown colouring but then you'll presumably be defeating the purpose of using the AF to reduce the amount of oil you consume.

When a battered or crumbed item such as katsu ( usually with some binding liquid such as egg wash) hits hot oil, every part of it is cooked and sealed and coloured simultaneously by virtue of it being in contact with the hot liquid medium. You can't get that in an air-fryer - at least I've never been able to achieve that.

In my book, for katsu, deep frying is the right tool for the job.

When I was shopping for my sister's air fryer, the Phillips was the most expensive, but a long way. If that one can't do it, I doubt any of the others can.

CD

I think its simply a problem with air fryers. Its never going to cook the coating as evenly as a fast deep fry... Which air fryer are you using?
I have a Nuwave air fryer, kind of looks like a knock-off Ninja 😅

I'm somewhat relieved to hear everyone has been having similar results, it means I'm not doing something wrong!

I don't use Panko because it has sugar in it. But I think Morning Glory is right, some things just don't do well in an air fryer.

It seems breaded things should be frozen like from the store. It seems to work well on those. But some foods just need a pan, sometimes full of oil.

Like if you tried to boil French fries. wouldn't work. But now I have to correct myself because if you DO boil them in salt water first they can come out great. Like the broasted potatoes one place had, they are presure fried and cook through, they wont in oil. But you can nuke or boil them and then finish them in pil and they come out fine. But forget an air fryer.

T

I don't use Panko because it has sugar in it. But I think Morning Glory is right, some things just don't do well in an air fryer.

It seems breaded things should be frozen like from the store. It seems to work well on those. But some foods just need a pan, sometimes full of oil.

Like if you tried to boil French fries. wouldn't work. But now I have to correct myself because if you DO boil them in salt water first they can come out great. Like the broasted potatoes one place had, they are presure fried and cook through, they wont in oil. But you can nuke or boil them and then finish them in pil and they come out fine. But forget an air fryer.

T

Try using corn flake crumbs. They seem to hold up well. Just turn the temp down a bit to keep them from burning. :whistling:

Also sugar.

There is a bread place to get them pure but it is a bit far. We have been using Saltines lately with pretty decent luck.

T

I think its simply a problem with air fryers. Its never going to cook the coating as evenly as a fast deep fry. I use a halogen cooker which is similar to an air fryer and have the same issue. Maybe those really expensive models are better at it (mine is not an expensive one). Which air fryer are you using?
Air fryer is an oxymoron. I remember when they hit the market when fat/oil was considered the devil so a healthy alternative was born in the R&D and marketing departments. They are a tool to cook food in a small space or as an additional or an alternative unit. I try and keep my kitchen space rather sparse of gadgets so not something that interests me personally but I do know a few people that love them.

I suggest if someone is looking for deep fried taste and results that they deep fry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom