Alerts

Duck59

Guru
Local time
9:13 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Is anybody else seeing something funny with the "alerts" tab? Mine has been odd for a few days. For example, today it showed nine. After I'd clicked on one of the new ones, it went down to seven. After that, it went to three, then showed nothing until I'd gone to another thread and then the three came back.

Not earth-shattering, but strange.

I hadn't noticed but I don't use it. I use 'new posts'. I just looked at my alerts and it seems OK though.

Maybe it's just this laptop. The number seems to be stuck at three - when I got an alert about this thread, it showed four and then changed to one. Some time this week, I will check it on the new (well, reconditioned) laptop that I've just got. I need to get it all set up with security software and stuff first. The operating system is much newer than on the one I'm using, so perhaps that's the problem. It's odd, though, that this has just happened in the last four or five days.

This is the issue.

I open the tab and the old page is displayed...

Then a few moments later, the page does a refresh and I get the true number of new alerts...

You may have a very fast broadband connection. Your ISP might not be caching the page. You may have a very new device, with a very quiet wireless network. You may beer logging off and back on again each and every time you visit CB. You may always open a new tab each and every time. You will definitely not be caching anything locally and so on. And you might just not be seeing/perceiving it because you don't actually look at how many alerts you have, so don't see the delayed update.

For me, even closing the tab down each time, I still see the old value because my I ISP caches CookingBites and then the page has to refresh. It is one of the problems I have making changes to the forum. I don't get to see them immediately and sometimes have to wait hours for the changes to trickle through.

There are so many different things that can affect it that offering an exact reason is not possible.

Yes.
It happened with the upgrade and there nothing I can do about it sadly. Hopefully there will be a patch soon. It is just slow updating itself with your new total. It's even worse over satellite broadband...

Yes.
It happened with the upgrade and there nothing I can do about it sadly. Hopefully there will be a patch soon. It is just slow updating itself with your new total. It's even worse over satellite broadband...
Thanks...I thought it couldn't just be me. I had a look on my new laptop and the same thing happened. I also tried it on a tartphone and got the same thing, so by that stage I'd concluded something was going a bit haywire.

I am getting similar symptoms. When I first log in the alert number will be high, but drops down within about a second.

Back
Top Bottom