Recipe Aloha Chicken Wings

JoshPosh

Veteran
Local time
1:20 AM
picauu2NL.jpg

1. Cut wings into sections and discard tips or save for another use.
  2. Place wings in a large resealable plastic ziplock bag.
  3. Stir together preserves, sherry, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, garlic, and ginger, until thoroughly combined.
  4. Pour mixture over wings in bag and seal.
  5. Work marinade over all parts of chicken wings and allow wings to marinate, refrigerated, for 6 hours or overnight.
  6. Place wings on a foil-covered baking pan and pour 1 cup of the marinade over the wings; discard the rest of the marinade.
  7. Bake wings at 350F for 1 hour.

These sound really good as well, sort of like a milder sweet and sour type sauce. Plus I am always looking for ways to use up the bottles of dry sherry I buy from time to time for various Chinese dishes I am making at home - since I really do not like to drink dry sherry by itself, and I hate letting the whole bottle go to waste just for a tablespoon of it in a given recipe.

I'm a bit curious, does the acid in the OJ, and sherry start to "cook" (denature) the chicken meat by leaving them in it for that long?

I normally cook my wings on a baking rack in the oven, uncovered. Do you at least space the wings apart from each other so they don't stick together? In the past when I've tried to bake wings on a baking sheet, either with or without regular foil, in many cases they would get completely stuck to the sheet/foil and all the meat would rip off the bone. For a while I started using the non-stick foil instead. It worked very well, but it's pricey as heck. Plus it did not solve the problem of the wings kind of swimming in their own juices while cooking, so the bottoms of the wings would not crisp. That's why I switched to the baking racks instead since there is less contact with the wing so less sticking, but they also cook a bit more evenly all around, and brown evenly. The wings also hold their shape a little better because the exterior skin has had an opportunity to render out it's fat and crisp and firm up.

Back
Top Bottom