Aluminium Foil

sixxup

Veteran
Local time
2:43 AM
How many use aluminium foil to wrap left over food? Aluminium foil prevent food from germs. I wrap left over avocados with aluminium foil so that I can eat them later while fresh. You can get in the stores at a cheaper price.

I do cover my leftovers with aluminium foil wrap to help keep the odors down and keep the food from drying out.

I never wrap up left over food in foil , and if I have to wrap food in foil to cook it , I remove it ASAP
I find it dies stick to some foods and reacts with others
So cling film and sealable tubs for me

I do not use it because of concerns that the aluminum might leach into my food. I have heard that aluminum in the body may be a cause of Alzheimer's, so I do not want to take a chance.

Aluminium foil comes in very handy for wrapping or covering food. However, it all depends on how the food is wrapped. I have heard that wrapping foods with aluminium foil is not healthy if the foil actually touches the food. What I would do is to wrap with Cut Rite paper first of all and then put the aluminium foil on top of that. I have also heard the argument concerning which side of the aluminium foil is the right side to use for covering.

I don't use it much at all. If it is used it is used to cover food during cooking, nothing more.
If I have left overs and they need covering and refrigeration, then they go into a bowl and will have clingfilm over the top of the bowl, not touching the food. If it does not require refrigeration, then it stays in the pan it was cooked in on the stove.
Anything like daily sandwiches are not wrapped in foil, it is not environmentally friendly to do so, irrespective of any health concerns, a dedicated sandwich container is the better (and cheaper) option.
Anything that needs to be frozen goes into a bag or box with its name and date one. Never tin foil.

I use it solely to keep the grill tray from getting messy. In the days when I trailed into an office every morning, I'd put my sandwiches in a bag that had previously contained bread, fruit or vegetables, so at least I was reusing the bag.

Depending on the leftover food. When it is for the microwave, we keep the food in plastic containers or plastic bag. If the food is for reheating in the oven toaster then we wrap it in foil. Like last week, we had a leftover paella, that's a rice dish with meat and seafood. The reheating is in the oven toaster so we wrapped it in foil and reheated it without taking off from the foil.

So I was looking to see if anyone uses it as a base in their baking dishes to avoid having to clean off the tough food remains. Is that a good or bad thing? Anyway, I don't use it a lot for left overs. The leftovers get lost when I do that. Clear plastic/cling film allows me to see what's left over as do other clear containers.

So I was looking to see if anyone uses it as a base in their baking dishes to avoid having to clean off the tough food remains. Is that a good or bad thing? Anyway, I don't use it a lot for left overs. The leftovers get lost when I do that. Clear plastic/cling film allows me to see what's left over as do other clear containers.
I use it under a grill to catch fat drips from sausages, for example. Grill would be be a broiler in the US. See 'Do you call it grilling or barbequing' thread, if you want to get really confused about these terms :giggle:. I also wrap chicken in foil to roast and make parcels for cooking fish in the oven.

Last edited:
I use it more regularly than I do cling film mainly from an ease of use perspective. Also sometimes if I make things like baked potatoes I will wrap them in foil - that's relatively common practice here. I hadn't thought about any health concerns with the use of foil to be honest!

This thread title reminds me when the microwave was pretty new and the people were not aware of what it really is. A colleague who had a new microwave invited us for a chat, maybe just to show off here microwave oven. There were 5 of us including the host. Another colleague who had lasagna (a kind of pasta) wrapped in aluminum foil asked if it can be heated. The host grabbed the lasagna which was wrapped in foil and heated it in the microwave oven. Before the 2 minutes of heating is over, we noticed smoke coming out from the microwave. Huh, it almost burned.

Back
Top Bottom