America - Where have you been and what do you think?

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
7:53 PM
Some may be aware I’m planning a trip to AMERICA 🇺🇸 👏

This involves things I have no first hand experience of. I’ve already encountered things that left me thinking waaa? 😄
I’ll post bits and pieces as things develop and eventually pics from the trip here.

Where have you you been? What did you enjoy? What would you rather avoid? Where do you still desire to visit?

TastyReuben would you mind moving kaneohegirlinaz post with the link to NPS annual pass from the ‘Travel Plans’ for 2024’ thread to here?
¡Muchas Gracias!

I went to Houston for a day.

But I also went to Sydney for the day.

Both from Manchester.

First time I went to the USA was in 1973, on a musical tour of the country. We performed in NY, New Jersey, Conneticut, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois (Chicago), Iowa, Minneapolis, Missouri, West Virginia, Washington DC and finally, the Carnegie Hall. Travelled by greyhound bus, so we saw all the countryside, and it was autumn, so some of the landscapes were just mind-blowing. We never spent much time anywhere, but I do recall the incredibly beautiful places like Ann Arbor, Michigan, Charleston W. Virginia and Madison, Wisconsin.
When I worked for Corporate, our destinations were usually New York and Miami, and we rarely got to see anything other than the inside of a hotel, but I did get to see lots of The Big Apple at the weekends, when I wasn't in Great Falls, W Virginia.
In the past few years it's only been Cincinnati, Ohio and Kentucky - but I'm really happy there. Lovely people, beautiful landscapes, wonderful places to visit.
The only place I wouldn't return to is Miami. ' orrible!

The great beauty of the U.S. is not in the large cities which are in decline. I recommend visits to our national parks which are outstanding. Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon for example are spectacular places. If you are looking for food then the large cities are your destination. New York and Chicago have some very excellent restaurants. New Orleans is famous for its food. Washington DC is loaded with history and has some great places to visit such as the Smithsonian museums, the finest I have seen anywhere. Philadelphia and Boston have some great historical sights if American history is of interest to you. They have some excellent sea food as well. If you go out West visit as many national parks as you can. They are worth the trip.

The only city I'd go to is Austin, and the surrounding Texas Hill Country. Austin is a fun place, and that part of Texas has the most real Texas BBQ pits in the state. Also the best city/area for live music. The roads around the Hill Country are great for motorcycling.

CD

the western states are unlike any other part of the U.S, i have traveled to all 48 states and nothing compares the the western states , high mtns , vast deserts its so big you could spend a lifetime driving and not see everything .... this is a picture from my front door

blizzard 062 012.JPG

the western states are unlike any other part of the U.S, i have traveled to all 48 states and nothing compares the the western states , high mtns , vast deserts its so big you could spend a lifetime driving and not see everything .... this is a picture from my front door

View attachment 107304
"Purple mountains' majesty”!!

i get tickled when i read about people from Europe that plan to drive and visit New York , New Orleans and Los Angeles in a week . they find out real quick just how big the U.S is !!!
where they are from its only a few 100 miles between countries where as here you can drive 400 miles and still be in the same state !! LOL

i get tickled when i read about people from Europe that plan to drive and visit New York , New Orleans and Los Angeles in a week . they find out real quick just how big the U.S is !!!
where they are from its only a few 100 miles between countries where as here you can drive 400 miles and still be in the same state !! LOL
We also laugh at Americans who think they can do the whole of Europe in ten days. Unfounded optimism is universal.

before covid we had planned to visit freind in Wales and let them be the tour guide , mainly because they lived there and knew how far everything was , we had two goals (1) visit with our freinds and (2) travel as much as was reasonable

my kids live over 1000 miles from me and they say if they can't fly they aren't coming ...lol and its still a 3 hour drive from my house to the Denver airport ...lol
i used to travel all over the U.S but now that we are retired ...HELLL NO ....lol

my kids live over 1000 miles from me and they say if they can't fly they aren't coming ...lol and its still a 3 hour drive from my house to the Denver airport ...lol
i used to travel all over the U.S but now that we are retired ...HELLL NO ....lol

Yeah, Denver built that airport WAY outside of the city, and if you live on the mountain side of Denver, you really have a trek.

CD

Back
Top Bottom