Recipe Andouille Sausage Mac and Cheese

blades

Local time
12:27 PM
maccheese.jpg

Mac and cheese is a popular comfort food. Today's pantry tour turned up some excellent ingredients to make a kicked up, over-the-top version of this popular dish. This recipe has found a place in my permanent recipe file. It is really tasty. Here goes:

Ingredients

10 oz package of andouille sausage cut into medallions
1 medium onion
1 cup white mushrooms thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic
2 large tomatoes diced
1/2 package (8 oz ?) penne rigate or elbows or rotini or whatever short pasta you have
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Heat some oil in a small stock pot. Add sausage, onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for a few minutes to brown the medallions and soften the onions. Add the chicken stock, pasta, wine, heavy cream, sour cream, flour, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is done to your preference. Remove from the heat, add the cheddar cheese and stir it in. We served in bowls to make it easier for my wife to eat. Serves 4.

Last edited:
I've made something quite similar before. It is really good, easy to make, and little mess. Perfect!

View attachment 110993

Mac and cheese is a popular comfort food. Today's pantry tour turned up some excellent ingredients to make a kicked up, over-the-top version of this popular dish. This recipe has found a place in my permanent recipe file. It is really tasty. Here goes:

Ingredients

10 oz package of andouille sausage cut into medallions
1 medium onion
1 cup white mushrooms thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic
2 large tomatoes diced
1/2 package (8 oz ?) penne rigate or elbows or rotini or whatever short pasta you have
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp flour
1 handful shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Heat some oil in a small stock pot. Add sausage, onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes to brown the medallions and soften the onions. Add the chicken stock, pasta, wine, heavy cream, sour cream, flour, mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is done to your preference. Remove from the heat, add the cheddar cheese and stir it in. We served in bowls to make it easier for my wife to eat. Serves 4.
I made this last night. It was a hit! I ended up not needing the flour and added the tomatoes with the liquid. I just cooked it uncovered, stirring frequently, until the liquid was absorbed and the pasta tender (sort of like risotto). The starch from the pasta created a nice sauce and the andouille gave the perfect heat and flavor. We loved it!
Thanks!!

I made this last night. It was a hit! I ended up not needing the flour and added the tomatoes with the liquid. I just cooked it uncovered, stirring frequently, until the liquid was absorbed and the pasta tender (sort of like risotto). The starch from the pasta created a nice sauce and the andouille gave the perfect heat and flavor. We loved it!
Thanks!!
Thanks, Jill. Glad you could join the group and extra glad your family appreciated the dish. You will find that there are many great cooks here like you. There are some beginners but most of the members are quite experienced. I've learned a lot here.

I could have done without the flour also I think. My effort produced a drier result that yours. You probably made an improvement. It sounds like you used canned tomatoes. I used fresh ones and didn't get as much liquid. I have some other ideas about improvements for the next chapter of this dish. It was a good start.

For others on the forum you may want to know that Jill is one of my 4 sisters and a seriously talented cook. We talk by phone about cooking on a fairly regular basis and she always has excellent ideas.

Thanks, Jill. Glad you could join the group and extra glad your family appreciated the dish. You will find that there are many great cooks here like you. There are some beginners but most of the members are quite experienced. I've learned a lot here.

I could have done without the flour also I think. My effort produced a drier result that yours. You probably made an improvement. It sounds like you used canned tomatoes. I used fresh ones and didn't get as much liquid. I have some other ideas about improvements for the next chapter of this dish. It was a good start.

For others on the forum you may want to know that Jill is one of my 4 sisters and a seriously talented cook. We talk by phone about cooking on a fairly regular basis and she always has excellent ideas.
Thank you brother 😊

I made this dish again and omitted the flour. I also added an additional splash of both wine and chicken stock. I was out of penne rigate so I used medium shell pasta instead. The taste was the same but the texture overall was wetter and better. So I have altered the recipe and thank you for the improvement. Take care Jill.

Back
Top Bottom