Another Broth Fail - Making It In A Slow Cooker

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
5:14 AM
I've always read that the key to a clear broth is to cook it at a low temperature, such as below 200 degrees. It has something to do with preventing the proteins from breaking down and emulsifying with the fat in the broth, or something like that, which can result in a cloudy broth.

I've always made mine in the pressure cooker, in about an hour and a half. And while not entirely clear when all was said and done, it was definitely not opaque or even heavily cloudy. In fact, once I would re-heat it, it would become even clearer.

This time around I tried to cook it in a slow cooker, more specifically one which keeps the temperature at 180 degrees. I was actually not pleased with the results at all, especially considering the time it took (10 hours as opposed to 1.25 hours). The broth was even *more* cloudy, and I ended up having to strain it twice, because after cooling, what looked like congealed protein formed in the broth too. Not the gelatinous clear stuff, this was opaque white blobs of proteins.

Flavor wise, I liked it a little less than the pressure cooked variety as well.

I am not sure where you went wrong with this. I have a slow cooker, but I have never tried to make broth in it. I tend to just a large pan on the hob for broths and soups. I have only had the slow cooker for a couple of months and so far stuck to thinks like stews, tagines, a curry and a pot roast.

I use my slow cooker to make bone broth all of the time and I have never had a problem, but you are always going to have to strain it. I just freeze my bones until I have enough for stock. When I am ready I throw my unpeeled veggies in the bottom and my bones on top and cover with water and cook it on low overnight.

Back
Top Bottom