Any advice on best vegetables to pickle?

JoanMcWench

Veteran
Local time
1:02 PM
I'm, at best, a novice pickling person. Thus far I have worked with red onions, cucumbers (of course), okra (hard to love but I keep trying), garlic, & a radish for good measure. I had a few questions on the matter: What are some options for people who do not care for vinegar? Lime juice & lemon juice quick pickling options? What are the best vegetables to pickle? By best I mean easier for people to enjoy. Like okra (again I try so hard to enjoy), is rather tough to use to convert people to pickling (generally speaking) with it alone.

*Side note: How the heck do I make okra less slimy when pickling???

Beets are good pickled, I recently saw an article where they pickled zucchini and of course cucumbers are all good vegetables to pickle.

Here in the country of my husband where I am residing already side dishes are always serve on the table and pickled cucumber and radish are their favorites. It is just simple... vinegar salt sugar and water are just their marinating ingredients and it got a deliciously simple and appetizing taste.

One of my favorites is the 3 bean salad which is what ever 3 beans mixed together pickled. I use red kidney beans, onions, green beans and chickpeas in the pickling mix very good.

You can pickle almost any vegetable really; green beans, eggplants, beets and cucumbers!
I do enjoy pickled beets with green chili peppers, so easy to do and so yummy!

I love pickled eggplants marinated in oil. I have no idea how you make them but that is the first thing I would learn if I was getting into pickling!

Thanks for the suggestions thus far but anyone have a move for that blasted okra? Every single time I have pickled it I get a slimy mess of an okra. The only thing I have tried to do that helped a tad was straining it & refilling a few times with the vinegar mixture. It seems to kill some of the slime but not an amount I'm happy with. Also, I kind of feel like I lose flavour doing it this way. I don't want to give up on lady okra.

White cabbage and red cabbage seperate of course,sugar vinegear coriander seeds and chilli flakes both really good with roast duck and a fruit sauce I love quince as well does the sweet and sour thing

I really like pickled asparagus, it has a great flavor to it and it is fun to eat. Since I have been an adult, I really have not bee into dill pickles like I was when I was a kid, but could eat a whole jar of pickled asparagus.

We do not really eat okra up in the Pacific Northwest, so I aways have to stop and remember what it is when I read about it. Not sure why, you just never see it around here...maybe we just know it is gross?

You can also pickle cabbage (somewhat like kimchi), carrots, chilli peppers. I think the best veg to pickle is something that's more on the bland side, because they can be infused with lots of flavor from the pickling. I never really got into the pickled garlic...it tasted a little too pungent for my tastes

I sometimes make refrigerator pickled onions with jalepenos as well. I take a red onion and then slice it up and add it to the jar, alternating it with sliced jalepenos. I then add the brine and let if soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Using red onions makes this a fun pickling project because the brine solution and the onions turn pink.

I sometimes make refrigerator pickled onions with jalepenos as well. I take a red onion and then slice it up and add it to the jar, alternating it with sliced jalepenos. I then add the brine and let if soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Using red onions makes this a fun pickling project because the brine solution and the onions turn pink.
We pickle 2 sacks of shallots every year in malt vinegar and pickling spices , they are ready after about 3 months , you can also add chillis to the vinegar

I really like the idea of using chillis in the pickling process. Do you all do the old fashioned seal the jar and store them in a cellar, or do you refrigerate them like I do. I really want to learn the proper way to preserve something in a jar someday, but the whole thing makes me nervous because you can get bacteria if you are not extremely careful.

I really like the idea of using chillis in the pickling process. Do you all do the old fashioned seal the jar and store them in a cellar, or do you refrigerate them like I do. I really want to learn the proper way to preserve something in a jar someday, but the whole thing makes me nervous because you can get bacteria if you are not extremely careful.
Dried chill is or fresh ,keep the jars in a dry dark coolish area ,no need to refrigerate ,any jar with a lid you can sterilise them in e oven ,bacteria is less of a problem,you are preserving ,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pickledonions_7719
Have a go!

Back
Top Bottom