Anybody else love watching Home/Kitchen of Tomorrow videos?

These are becoming popular in Portugal nowadays. Personally I don't like them, I can see how practical it is that you can easily see everything on the shelf but at the same time I always feel like a putting a round thing on a square shelf isn't the best use of space.

The key benefits are that you can see everything, as you mentioned, but also that you can use the entire corner cabinet space. Without the LS, you practically have to crawl into the cabinet to get to the back corner.

CD

The key benefits are that you can see everything, as you mentioned, but also that you can use the entire corner cabinet space. Without the LS, you practically have to crawl into the cabinet to get to the back corner.

CD
It's where useless amazon deals go to die.

Dinner now needs to be from start to finish within an acceptable timeframe otherwise a more convenient and easier entree is chosen and desserts forget it
That’s true. I’ll say that Mom started cooking shortly after getting up in the morning and really didn’t stop until the evening meal was done. As soon as breakfast was over, she started clearing and cleaning, and as soon as that was done, she started prepping dinner (lunch), and then the same cycle for supper.

Me, I keep breakfast simple during the week, lunch is a sandwich, and supper during the week, I generally start prepping at 4PM and we eat at 6PMish, and even that feels fast, but I talk to the next generation past me, and if they can’t have a meal on the table in 45 minutes, they’re not going to do it. Hence the popularity of meal kits, which are better than what was around when I was their age (Hamburger Helper, dehydrated scalloped potato mixes, etc), but it’s really changed.

Back in the 40's most women didn't work outside the house, so they had all the time in the world to spend cooking.
Nowadays most women have joined the workforce, along with men, so there isn't that one person that spends the entire day home cooking.
With this it's easy to see the rise in convenience food. Most of what we eat should come from food that doesn't have a label (fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish), but most of us end up eating a lot of packaged food...and the lack of time makes it harder and harder to stay away from unhealthy, convenience foods.

Nowadays most women have joined the workforce, along with men, so there isn't that one person that spends the entire day home cooking.
I meant to say the same thing. Cooking time declined as soon as the two-earner family became a necessity.

What has changed is how much processing is required to achieve the same results. Dinner now needs to be from start to finish within an acceptable timeframe otherwise a more convenient and easier entree is chosen and desserts forget it, it's mostly premade, who has time for that and sitting down at a table together as a family, tilt. This has only spiraled cooking downward where now when you look at single parent homes, which for one ethnic group is around 80% how could any cooking skill get passed down. Like I said it's devolving. It's up to us to change that, so getting people involved and excited to cook is pretty important, or maybe back in schools where it belongs as well, but then again I'm biased lol.
Maybe to some extent, but I think people either love it or don't. My mom didn't have the cooking gene (no wonder I was a skinny kid) but her sister, my grandmothers, and my father did, not that I was around any of them all that much growing up. And none of my 5 siblings enjoy cooking or are very good at what they do know how to do. I was raised mostly by my mother (basically which means I grew up on frozen pizza and TV dinners) so I didn't get my love for cooking passsed down from her, it was something I enjoyed doing after I moved out so I just did it and learned most everything as an adult. And one of my kids likes to cook and the others couldn't be bothered except for simple stuff, and we had family meals together and they were involved in the prep work, they just didn't care about it that much and now would prefer to eat at restaurants or eat stuff that's simple to make. My husband's nephew, on the other hand, was always interested and he was in the kitchen with me as much as possible when he was here (which was a lot since his parents were both jerks and dumped him off here--which I didn't mind other than it used upset him that they thought he was a nuisance). At any rate, he still loves to cook and his fiance does as well...and her mother didn't like it and was an awful cook from what she says. So I don't know about it being passed down, per se. I think many people are just too lazy to bother.

CD
Yeah, my lazy Susan is in the lower corner cabinet.

Maybe to some extent, but I think people either love it or don't. My mom didn't have the cooking gene (no wonder I was a skinny kid) but her sister, my grandmothers, and my father did, not that I was around any of them all that much growing up. And none of my 5 siblings enjoy cooking or are very good at what they do know how to do. I was raised mostly by my mother (basically which means I grew up on frozen pizza and TV dinners) so I didn't get my love for cooking passsed down from her, it was something I enjoyed doing after I moved out so I just did it and learned most everything as an adult. And one of my kids likes to cook and the others couldn't be bothered except for simple stuff, and we had family meals together and they were involved in the prep work, they just didn't care about it that much and now would prefer to eat at restaurants or eat stuff that's simple to make. My husband's nephew, on the other hand, was always interested and he was in the kitchen with me as much as possible when he was here (which was a lot since his parents were both jerks and dumped him off here--which I didn't mind other than it used upset him that they thought he was a nuisance). At any rate, he still loves to cook and his fiance does as well...and her mother didn't like it and was an awful cook from what she says. So I don't know about it being passed down, per se. I think many people are just too lazy to bother.
Same here! Both my mom and her mom hate cooking. Pre-made meals weren't a thing when I was young and we couldn't afford takeout food so my mom used to cook these hugeee pots of bolognese/stewed meat/chicken curry that were made to last the entire week 🤮 There were always fish fingers in the freezer for when the huge pot of food was over and there wasn't another one ready for dinner. I absolutely loved having fish fingers because my mom was (is) such a terrible cook. I had a coworker whose mom was a single mom with 4 kids, and he hated fish fingers for the same reason I loved them: fish fingers was what his mom used to cook when she didn't have time to cook dinner!

My paternal grandma enjoys cooking and is a good cook (with the recipes she knows and that she's been cooking all her life), but neither my dad nor my aunt take after her, both of them hate cooking.

I learned to cook and started enjoying it it when I went to live alone. Such as in your case ot definitely wasn't something passed on from the previous generation.

Same here! Both my mom and her mom hate cooking. Pre-made meals weren't a thing when I was young and we couldn't afford takeout food so my mom used to cook these hugeee pots of bolognese/stewed meat/chicken curry that were made to last the entire week 🤮 There were always fish fingers in the freezer for when the huge pot of food was over and there wasn't another one ready for dinner. I absolutely loved having fish fingers because my mom was (is) such a terrible cook. I had a coworker whose mom was a single mom with 4 kids, and he hated fish fingers for the same reason I loved them: fish fingers was what his mom used to cook when she didn't have time to cook dinner!

My paternal grandma enjoys cooking and is a good cook (with the recipes she knows and that she's been cooking all her life), but neither my dad nor my aunt take after her, both of them hate cooking.

I learned to cook and started enjoying it it when I went to live alone. Such as in your case ot definitely wasn't something passed on from the previous generation.
I am envisoning the big pot of bolognese/stewed meat/chicken curry, UGH. You poor dear.

I remember when the crockpot (AKA slowcooker) came out. The first time my mother got a hold of one and tried to cook in it, she put a package of raw ground meat, a packet of seasoning mix, a can of tomato sauce, and the noodles (raw) all in at once. She had gone somewhere and told me and my brother dinner would be ready early evening (I had band practice after school and he went to his job at the Gulfarium (the ocean wildlife center where he was a dolphin and sea lion trainer). When we came home, there was this congealed mass of food, the pasty noodles all stuck together like glue and a large layer of fat from the 70/30 ground beef pooled across the top of it. We dug a hole in the backyard and dumped the contents of the pot inside and buried it. We asked her not to do that again. She did manage to make a few pot roasts in it successfully after that, but for the most part we were back on our frozen food diet.

JAS_OH1 the crock pot story is hilarious! :laugh: I imagine it was incredibly frustrating when it happened, but nowadays it's a fun story to hear about!

Back
Top Bottom