Anybody ever make water kimchi?

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:12 AM
Another cooking forum I visit has a main page scrolling headline like CB does, but it features random pictures from members albums. There was an interesting looking picture so I clicked on it and it was titled water kimchi. I looked at the post the picture was in and the recipe was from the TV series Kimchi Chronicles, which is hosted by Marja Allen, who is Korean and is the wife of Jean-Georges Vongerichten. He makes appearances on the show and also cooks dishes.

Water kimchi is considered a summer dish as it is much lighter and fresher tasting than regular kimchi as little to no hot spicy ingredients are used. Marja's recipe uses Napa cabbage, daikon, Korean pear, garlic, scallions, sugar, salt and water. That's it! It sits on the counter for 2 to 4 days, then in the refrigerator for up to a month.

Next time we visit the Asian market I intend to pick up a daikon and a Korean pear and start a batch of this. I'll use some of it as a banchan in a Korean meal.

Another cooking forum I visit has a main page scrolling headline like CB does, but it features random pictures from members albums. There was an interesting looking picture so I clicked on it and it was titled water kimchi. I looked at the post the picture was in and the recipe was from the TV series Kimchi Chronicles, which is hosted by Marja Allen, who is Korean and is the wife of Jean-Georges Vongerichten. He makes appearances on the show and also cooks dishes.

Water kimchi is considered a summer dish as it is much lighter and fresher tasting than regular kimchi as little to no hot spicy ingredients are used. Marja's recipe uses Napa cabbage, daikon, Korean pear, garlic, scallions, sugar, salt and water. That's it! It sits on the counter for 2 to 4 days, then in the refrigerator for up to a month.

Next time we visit the Asian market I intend to pick up a daikon and a Korean pear and start a batch of this. I'll use some of it as a banchan in a Korean meal.
I have had daikon that way, but never made it myself. Its refreshing!
Asian pear I usually have by itself or reserve for use in a galbi marinade.
Hmm, now I want to go to Kimchi Mart on Pines Blvd for some supplies!

I have had daikon that way, but never made it myself. Its refreshing!
Asian pear I usually have by itself or reserve for use in a galbi marinade.
Hmm, now I want to go to Kimchi Mart on Pines Blvd for some supplies!

If you are ever in Sunrise, check out the New York Mart next to Doris Market on Sunset Strip. They sometimes have live Dungeness crabs, razor clams and geoducks, among other things. The market is huge, like a Publix or Winn Dixie. They have even had durian sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom