Anyone ever tried Borscht?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
2:43 AM
It's a delicacy in Eastern European countries like Poland and the likes. It has a pretty interesting sour-ish flavor. One of the more unique soups I've had.

Borscht_served.jpg

Attachments

• Borscht_served.jpg
    Borscht_served.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 170
Borscht can be a bit sour but some can also can have a sweeter flavor. I think there is some variation in how different cultures prepare it. I can not stand borscht with chunks of beets floating in it, but a clear, strained, borscht broth is very good.

I have not tried it but you are sure making me want to. I love beets so much, except for the stains. I hate how they get all over my hands and soak into the skin so it takes two days to get it out.

Where did you find your recipe for it?

I've had quite a few different versions. The last one I recall I believe was Lithuanian & it came with dumplings in it as well. They were called dumplings but it kind of seemed like tiny pierogis to me.

i like beetroot ,so borscht is a good thing,but it takes a bit of time to get it right ,i like a bit of spice in it,and served with sour cream and chopped soft herbs ,i have even chopped ham in to it,beetroot can have quite a earthy taste and very fibrous,so to enhance it i add more beetroot juice ,and strain the soup and add bulk as a garnish and add a gastric to finish it

I've had it in Estonia, Ukraine and Russia. It comes in a variety of forms and I've found it easy enough to get a vegetarian version in most places I've been. The best one I've tasted was in St Petersburg, in a splendid restaurant called The Idiot.

Back
Top Bottom