Anyone for mangoes?

I showed my wife the pictures in the recipe and she informs me that none of the mangoes that we have or have been given are suitable (too sweet). However, unbeknown to me, we have two trees which give forth different types of mango and one has the type referenced in that recipe. We collected a few from our sour tree, chopped them up and I've prepared the seasoning.

mango pickle 1 s.jpg

mango pickle 2 s.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what this person says, I'm making mango sorbet sometime soon. I love it. It's so refreshing. Also a mango chutney to have with your curries. Boom! Result. Lol

Russ
I would make mango sorbet and mango chutney/pickle, I think. With some fresh mango a seafood salad - prawns, mango, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, etc.

Mango pachadi looks interesting. It is traditional for Tamil new year which is on 14th. I've just been reading about it.

We collected a few from our sour tree, chopped them up and I've prepared the seasoning.

In order to effect the seasoning the mixture needs to be in the sun during daylight hours. Now, although we have about 12 hours of sunshine per day there is nowhere that the jar may be placed for continuous sun throughout the day so it needs moving every few hours. It was the same with the lime pickle.

OK, another question.

I'm not aware that we can buy asafoetida here but I have read that liquidised onion and garlic is a satisfactory substitute. What I have yet to determine is how much of the puree is a substitute for 5 gms of asafoetida.

OK, another question.

I'm not aware that we can buy asafoetida here but I have read that liquidised onion and garlic is a satisfactory substitute. What I have yet to determine is how much of the puree is a substitute for 5 gms of asafoetida.

I'm not sure I agree about that as a sub - I also think it would be too wet for the pickle. Asafoetida is a very pungent resin, often sold in powdered form although this recipe specifies resin. According to Wiki it is used as a medicinal for digestion in Thailand. I was going to say sub with fenugreek but the recipe has that in anyway. Garlic powder is a reasonable sub if you have it, otherwise I would grate lots of garlic into the mixture or even add a splash of fish sauce.

Or you could just leave it out.

The Fat Lady returned from Suphanburi today and called by with water chestnuts and bamboo shoots (pictures tomorrow). She told my wife that if we called around to the restaurant tomorrow she has loads of mangoes for us!

No! Please no!

The Fat Lady returned from Suphanburi today and called by with water chestnuts and bamboo shoots (pictures tomorrow). She told my wife that if we called around to the restaurant tomorrow she has loads of mangoes for us!

No! Please no!

Don't you mean "MangNO!

Apparently hing is used for a medicinal rub and may be given to babies in diluted liquid form to cure indigestion.

CAAOAAIAAAO_02_4.png

Our neighbour brought another 8 over today. I said to my wife "why did you not tell him that we have loads?". "I didn't like", she said.

Back
Top Bottom