Appetisers and party food: Fun with Pâtés, Terrines, Tapanades, Hors d'oeuvres, et al ...

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:03 AM
Being a bit busy, I have no recipes to post here, just ideas.

I was thinking how fantastic Sushi is and how it opens up possibilities for endless creativity. And this got me thinking on other food items that share those traits. Pâtés, Terrines, Tapanades, Hors d'oeuvres and other spreadables, toppings and finger foods proved a magnet for my interests. Certainly, I have noted that forum members have contributed some recipes for Pâtés and Terrines in the past and I'll be looking those over. Hors d'oeuvres? I like to pun this and call them Horse Doovers. :laugh:

These spreadables, toppings and finger foods not only allow for a great deal of creativity and artistic expression in themselves, but the substrates that you might put them on allow a similar expansive variety as well, from ritz crackers to a bed of shredded lettuce or cabbage, or Tuiles.

When it comes to getting creative in these venues, I foresee two problems ... 1) combining ingredients which are conducive or congruent to promoting a good flavor result and also, good visual and scent appeal and 2) providing a degree of solidity so that the results hold together. For example, you might use cream cheese as a base where other incredients do not lend themselves to the task ... or edible gels as are used in Aspics.

I am kind of hoping that this thread will collect some outstanding examples from those who read it. For example, I was thinking of the following ...

Cream Cheese
Crab Meat, shredded
Scallops, shredded
Diced Scallions
Basil
Sun Dried Tomato, Julienned and drained of any oils they are packed in
A tablespoon of juiced Kiwi fruit.

Mash that all up and form it up in a mold to be overturned and deposited on a bed of shredded cabbage.

As you can see, simple terrines like this are a snap ... easy.

Here's another, I had in mind.

2 hard boiled Egg Whites
2 crumbled strips of fried Bacon
0.25 cup of diced Celery
0.25 cup of diced Scallions, including the Chives
Cilantro
0.25 cup of Feta Cheese
Slivered Almonds
Soy Bean Paste

Hollow out Bread Rolls or V cut a good tasty Bâtard and fill.

Of course, these things are to be served cold or at room temperature.

I'd enjoy hearing your suggestions and favorite combinations.

This thread is casting a very wide net! Tapas, of course also falls into this 'category'. As it happens, I've been reading an old English recipe book from the 1920's.
There are loads of ideas for 'savouries' - which I suppose is what we are talking about here. Quite fascinating.

Photo on 13-01-2018 at 19.06 #2.jpg

Photo on 13-01-2018 at 19.08.jpg
Photo on 13-01-2018 at 19.08.jpg

Photo on 13-01-2018 at 19.09.jpg

Sometime ago, I created a post on Iberian Tapas which included some top Barcelona Food Designer´s Creations ..

As far as dips, spreads, I do not use store bought Mayo, I prepare my own, so it must be eaten shortly after ..

I also posted a Scorpion or Dragon Fish (in Spanish: Cabracho Terrine Mousse) which is in the fish and shellfish Section ..

You have some lovely ideas, however, some of the ingredients are just not my cup of tea for a terrine or mousse .. ( Soybean anything or bacon both which I do not eat & I would never mince or combine anything with wild fresh sea scallops or Saint Jacques which cost close to 20 Euros a Kilo ). I only sauté in very delicate Bio Natural Evoo from Provençe & serve back in their shells.

All our best for a nice weekend ..

Last edited:
Pates and terrines that are made with offal, generally fall into the realm of charcuterie. Something that interests both myself and Karen. Karen made a duck liver torchon that was excellent. It was well worth the wait of the curing process.

This thread is casting a very wide net! Tapas, of course also falls into this 'category'. As it happens, I've been reading an old English recipe book from the 1920's.
There are loads of ideas for 'savouries' - which I suppose is what we are talking about here. Quite fascinating.

Fascinating - yes. I just learned something from you - Tapas. I had not heard of these and when I researched just now find that they are native to Spain and whole Tapas bars exist for them and their creative varieties like Sushi bars. What is even more nice, is that there are in fact, a number of such Tapas bars right here in San Jose, California. I've not got a field trip to go on, thank you. :):hungry:

Savory is also a new word for me and upon research I find that it is usually used in Britain as a final course as a palette cleanser before serving a Port wine.

You have some lovely ideas, however, some of the ingredients are just not my cup of tea for a terrine or mousse .. ( Soybean anything or bacon both which I do not eat & I would never mince or combine anything with wild fresh sea scallops or Saint Jacques which cost close to 20 Euros a Kilo ). I only sauté in very delicate Bio Natural Evoo from Provençe & serve back in their shells.

I am a bear when it comes to food, I can appreciate a wide variety, a true omnivore. Soy is very versatile. Don't discount it.

I am a bear when it comes to food, I can appreciate a wide variety, a true omnivore. Soy is very versatile. Don't discount it.

If you browse about, I have posted several authentic classic recipes for Tapas.

Soy in any form as far as I am concerned is just not my cup of tea !!! I respect the dining protocol of others, however, we just do not do soy products ..

Have a nice weekend ..

Pates and terrines that are made with offal, generally fall into the realm of charcuterie. Something that interests both myself and Karen. Karen made a duck liver torchon that was excellent. It was well worth the wait of the curing process.

CraigC, we're off and running in this thread, opening up an enormous vista of creative cuisine, spanning national borders and languages.

I've been introduced to Savouries and Tapas and the topic just spirals outward. I love festive or party foods.

Pâtés, Terrines, Tapanades and Hors d'oeuvres can be joined by Savouries, Tapas, Torchons, Ballottines, Galantines, Roulades, Aspics, Forcemeat, Duxelles, Rillettes, Carpaccio, Ceviche, Hummus, Sushi and Confits. That's a lot to explore and enjoy preparing and consuming. And the nice thing is that many of these are new to me.

If you browse about, I have posted several authentic classic recipes for Tapas.

Soy in any form as far as I am concerned is just not my cup of tea !!! I respect the dining protocol of others, however, we just do not do soy products ..

I'll be looking for your Tapas recipes.

I can see one issue with Soy in that it is often used to fake other food. Imitation this and imitation that. I do dislike that. Vegans seem to love it.

Have you ever tried raw Edamame? Edamame beans are young, not fully mature soy beans. And of course, Tofu is something that often shows up in Japanese cuisine.

[QUOTE="flyinglentris, post: 106135, member: 2312"
Savory is also a new word for me and upon research I find that it is usually used in Britain as a final course as a palette cleanser before serving a Port wine.[/QUOTE]

It is a very old book. I'm not sure if anyone does that now but certainly, the upper classes would have eaten them that way in the 20's.

Pâtés, Terrines, Tapanades and Hors d'oeuvres can be joined by Savouries, Tapas, Torchons, Ballottines, Galantines, Roulades, Aspics, Forcemeat, Duxelles, Rillettes, Carpaccio, Ceviche, Hummus, Sushi and Confits. That's a lot to explore and enjoy preparing and consuming. And the nice thing is that many of these are new to me.

Also, Canapés, Paupiettes, Gravlax and Lox, Escalopes, Cordon Bleu and Coulis can join that list.

Also, Canapés, Paupiettes, Gravlax and Lox, Escalopes, Cordon Bleu and Coulis can join that list.

I'm getting confused here - there are so many things being included. :) Can you define the main theme? It obviously savoury - but apart from that, how are you defining this. Do you mean 'appetisers', perhaps? By which I mean, savoury dishes that you have in a buffet or before a main meal.

I have. They are a pretty green colour but to be honest, are not very full of flavour.

That's the nice thing about Soy, that lack of fullness in flavor. It allows things like Soy paste to be used in the context I suggested in the first post to this thread, as a means to increase the solidity of the Terrine I was speculating on.

Back
Top Bottom