Appetizer tray

Sweetkymom

Veteran
Local time
10:53 PM
If you was to bring an appetizer tray to a relaxed occasion, what would you have on your try? I thought about doing deep fried veggies--cauliflour, mushrooms, broccoli. What other suggestions or ideas are out there?

I like to bring fresh veggies and my homemade ranch. I also sometimes take a fruit and cheese tray with nice crackers or cocktail bread. Your fried veggies do sound delish though.

An antipasto tray with a variety of Italian deli meats, cheeses, and pickled condiments such as peppers and olives, is easy to assemble, looks great and holds up well for traveling since you just need to throw it in a thermal bag with a few ice packs. Bring along a bag of small fresh rolls from your bakery and or some crackers, bagel chips, etc...

Fried veggies are fantastic, but I don't feel they would travel well - they are best served right out of the oil after they've drained a bit. If you could find some good quality pre-breaded ones, and your destination had an oven, you could perhaps bake them there, then bring along some garnishes like shredded Parmesan and fresh parsley to dress them up with, and a couple of home made dipping sauces (Mayo and Horseradish mixed together goes fantastic with fried veggies btw).

Another easy appetizer I will make is ham, swiss and asparagus roll ups. Just get a few tubes of pre-made croissant rolls, and lay them all out, brush the insides with spicy brown mustard or Dijon, then a layer of Swiss and a layer of Black Forest ham (cut to the same triangle shape as the dough is cut), and a piece of a blanched asparagus spear, and roll them up. You can top with some sesame seeds to make them even more fancy, then bake in the oven - around 375 degrees until the outsides are a nice deep brown and the insides are done. If you want to serve them room temp, place them on a wire rack to cool off so the bottoms don't get soggy from the steam.

OhioTom, you're making me hungry, lol. Your asparagus appetizer sounds really good. I also like doing baked appetizers on Italian bread with meats and melted cheeses.

All of these appetizers sound very yummy. I like to do bacon wrapped, cream cheese stuffed figs. You can drizzle some maple syrup over them and they taste great. Mini tarts are also good because the are not messy.

I like to do finger sandwiches, ham and cheese crackers, peanut butter crackers, and cheese balls for appetizer trays whenever I can. Failing that, I like to do different kinds of cubed cheese with toothpicks and a blue cheese dip in the center. If I don't have any cheese or any of those other items, I'll likely make a vegetable tray and use whatever dressing I have at the time.

I like to offer bruschette as an appetizer. Just toast small pieces of "italian" or french" bread rub some garlic over them and once you get to the party add the cut tomatoes on top of the little pieces. Super easy, and good for traveling. Also, deviled eggs with tuna fish are always a hit for me.

I do chicken skewers. I marinate some diced chicken in whatever sauce I feel like at the time, cook it under the grill, then thread them onto skewers when they have cooled. I also like to serve sliced ham and cheeses with french bread and crackers.

more ideas ,
smoked cod and sun dried tomato mini croquettes
and
make a choix paste whilst still hot add smoked cheese ,chopped tarragon and garlic ,then cool and either pipe into a deep fat frier,or spoon in turn over in the oil then drain and serve with a chipotle mayonaise
another one i tried was deep fried pigs ears whilst boiling pigs heads for other things,cut the ear into long strips,flour ,egg and bread crumb and deep fry
drain season and serve with caper mayonaise

Last edited:
An antipasto tray with a variety of Italian deli meats, cheeses, and pickled condiments such as peppers and olives, is easy to assemble, looks great and holds up well for traveling since you just need to throw it in a thermal bag with a few ice packs. Bring along a bag of small fresh rolls from your bakery and or some crackers, bagel chips, etc...

Fried veggies are fantastic, but I don't feel they would travel well - they are best served right out of the oil after they've drained a bit. If you could find some good quality pre-breaded ones, and your destination had an oven, you could perhaps bake them there, then bring along some garnishes like shredded Parmesan and fresh parsley to dress them up with, and a couple of home made dipping sauces (Mayo and Horseradish mixed together goes fantastic with fried veggies btw).

Another easy appetizer I will make is ham, swiss and asparagus roll ups. Just get a few tubes of pre-made croissant rolls, and lay them all out, brush the insides with spicy brown mustard or Dijon, then a layer of Swiss and a layer of Black Forest ham (cut to the same triangle shape as the dough is cut), and a piece of a blanched asparagus spear, and roll them up. You can top with some sesame seeds to make them even more fancy, then bake in the oven - around 375 degrees until the outsides are a nice deep brown and the insides are done. If you want to serve them room temp, place them on a wire rack to cool off so the bottoms don't get soggy from the steam.

I am on my way :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom