Apple Sauce Recipe Ideas

ABC123

Veteran
Local time
6:24 AM
I bought apple sauce with my hope my son would actually eat it. He will soon be 3 years old and he has really limited his diet to cheese, sausage, grapes, and pretzels. So I am trying different things. Well he will not eat the apple sauce and honestly I am not going to eat it either.

My question is are there any easy recipes to use the apple sauce to make muffins or cookies that have a healthy slant? Open to recipe suggestions.

I have never tried it myself, but I know there are a lot of recipes for muffins and even pancakes that use applesauce. I think it might be used as a substitution for eggs, oil or certain wet ingredients. I would think it would also add to the moisture of whatever you're baking.

Adding apple sauce to a mixture will make it more moist you will need to reduce the amount of liquid you put into a recipe. I add apple sauce to my oatmeal or to my muffin mixture when I make bran muffins or cookies. If your son eats eggs you may try adding food coloring to the eggs to make them more interesting to his eyes.

The BEST apple sauce I've ever had is this:

1. Peel a bunch of bright green apples. You know those ones that are kind of sour or tangy? Yeah them.
2. Dice them, it doesn't matter on the shape as long as they're roughly pizza pineapple size.
3. Cover with water and add 1 table spoon of sugar per apple (or per 2 apples if they are small). Usually I cap this at 3 tablespoons and add more when done for taste if needed (usually not).
4. Bring to Boil stirring occasionally.
5. When it gets to a boil turn it down to simmering and keep stirring. When the apples are looking like sauce then it's good and done! They naturally break down, no need to purée it. I never understood that.

I like mine not so sweet, with some icecream on top. A lot of my friends will add cinnamon to this recipe but I don't. You could also try mixing it with raisin cookies. Or other fruits, like raisins/saltanas/banana/etc.

I'm sorry you've had a bit of a miss with the one you bought but honestly the ones you buy are AWFUL. I know because I had to live on the stuff for a month in hospital and I almost vomited it up on contact every time. You could try marinating pork with it, or perhaps using it in a pork meatloaf or sausage if you're feeling adventurous! Pork and apple is a unique and amazing combination. You could just try some on some roast pork, that would be AMAZING! :D

So normally, I don't keep applesauce around the house, but I went out and got some once I saw it being mentioned around the forum as a substitute for oil in recipes. The conversations I had seen related mostly to box mixes which I have stopped making for a couple months now. So I was left with the applesauce not knowing exactly what to do with it. Only yesterday I tasted it thinking recipe or no recipe, I am going to find a way to incorporate it into my cooking if nothing else. Seeing the thread send me back to web and here is where I found something I might try.

https://savingstar.com/blog/2012/03/getting-saucy-7-recipes-using-applesauce/

Peel and core cooking apples I prefer Bramleys put a little water over them and heat on a low heat ,I season with cloves whole cinnamon and star anise ,before cooking ,I then remove the aromates and purree in a food processor
Great with pork and bacons

Applesauce can be used to make muffins more moist, and to reduce the amount of oil needed. YouI can also reduce the sugar since apples are sweet.

I stir apple sauce into ice cream bases, or turn it in to a sorbet
The cooking apples sharpness really does great iced products

Applesauce can be used to make muffins more moist, and to reduce the amount of oil needed. YouI can also reduce the sugar since apples are sweet.

I initially went out and bought the apple sauce when I saw it mentioned to replace oil in baking recipes. I still have not used it for that purpose but I now I am realizing I have a good "weapon" in the kitchen...

Find a time when apples are being sold off cheap [any apples will do but 'cooking' types are better]. Peel and core apples and boil - when soft mush in any way you fancy - divide into portions and freeze. Can be sweetened, added to recipes, used on pork or anything you want really

we have juice and cider syndicate in our village run by the pub in autumn you take your apples in and then get involved with the production,i love different fresh apple juices,russet,cox etc I've not found one i don't like yet:okay:

Back
Top Bottom