Are there any foods you prefer to buy ready to eat?

Local time
11:03 PM
Website
www.helium.com
I make as much of my own food as possible, but there are times when the 'ready to eat' option is the most sensible one. For example, my husband loves steak and kidney pies and puddings, but I can't take offal in any shape or form.

Rather than spend hours slaving over a hot stove, and enduring the smell of kidneys cooking, I buy pies and puddings ready to eat once in a while. I can buy a steak and kidney pie for him, and a chicken and mushroom one for me. It's an occasional treat rather than a weekly ritual, so it doesn't clash with my healthy eating agenda.

What about you? Are there certain foods that you prefer to buy ready to eat?

I buy pies occasionally. Just not worth making them for one person, I reckon - well, not me anyway, I prefer one or two pot type meals anyway, like pasta or curry.

I tend to buy humus in the ready to eat format, or Cauldron foots licolnshire sauages (veggie) & the occasional loaf of bread but otherwise not really. Even pitta breads are easy to make and more sucessfull than shop bought ones. OK - staffordshire Oatcakes. I have made them myself, but tend to buy them ready made.

I often buy taco fillings by Classic Foods. My kids love it.... Makes it easier for me to prepare. :)

M&S prawn and pasta salad, so many ingredients. Very tasty but expensive and time consuming to make.

Veg samosas. They take hours to make at home and stink the house out but I can get them (still warm, just cooked) from the Indian grocers for the equivalent of 50p. And they're far better than I could ever hope for as well.

Veg samosas. They take hours to make at home and stink the house out but I can get them (still warm, just cooked) from the Indian grocers for the equivalent of 50p. And they're far better than I could ever hope for as well.
Yes, I've often bought ready-made samosas from Indian supermarkets, and they're lovely. I did try making them myself once, and although they were lovely, I never bothered again - I think it just wasn't worth the bother for the difference in flavour. On the same subject, I've bought some really nice ready-made pakoras and onion bahjees as well, either from Indian supermarkets, or even Asda's curry counter.

Smoked salmon, herring roll mops, Chinese roast duck from the Chinese supermarket with the restaurant above, occasionally pizzas though I really must start making my own pizza dough again.

A friend of mine a accomplished cook says Aldi lasagna was always the best ,but not since horse mince is no longer used!

Back
Top Bottom