Are we busy enough to worry about up to 1 week of data? Backups Daily or weekly?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:33 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm getting much closer to making a final decision on where to move the CB server to and am costing up the final solution.

Right now it comes down to a decision on backups. Backups are one of those difficult subjects rather like house contents insurance, camera insurance or breakdown cover. All forms of insurance. Backups are insurance, specifically data insurance. You don't need it until you do. And I've worked in IT long enough to know to play it safe but the question comes down to finances and how safe? Weekly or daily?

Both packages came with free weekly backups so if the worst was to happen we would only loose the data added to CB since the last backup potentially 1-7 days of data depending on when the worst happened.

I'd like to go with a package that has more disk space (storage memory), more RAM (thinking power) and a greater data allowance (traffic volume). This allows for 2 things. The first with disk space is that I can duplicate the CB server and test changes offline, confirm upgrades will work before rolling them out and actually have a test area, something I don't have currently. Right now I have to work on a live database and pray I don't screw it up. The second is that I don't have any idea on the volume of traffic or data that we currently use and if I guess incorrectly we'll have no option but to change packages in order for CB to be available. (Once we move, I'll be able to monitor this and actually know, but not until we move.)

The difference in cost between the 2 packages is basically the cost of going from weekly to daily backups.

So are we busy enough to worry about up to 1 week of data (compared to upto 24hrs of data loss) or should we have more disk space, more RAM and a greater traffic volume limit? I know how I feel on the matter but I'd like to know your views as well?

I'd take the better performance and storage over daily backups. I'd think we could live with a max of seven days of lost traffic. It comes down to perspective for me - we're not saving the world here, just chatting and posting recipes. The performance stuff, that'll realize returns every single day.

I'd take the better performance and storage over daily backups. I'd think we could live with a max of seven days of lost traffic. It comes down to perspective for me - we're not saving the world here, just chatting and posting recipes. The performance stuff, that'll realize returns every single day.
Agreed

+1

Back
Top Bottom