As a cook, what would the current you say to the old you?

What is Belgian pearl sugar and why is it important? Curious.

I believe this member has decided to leave the forum so I doubt you will get a reply from him.

As it happens I have some of this pearl sugar but I've only used it as a sprinkle topping on muffins/cakes. I think maybe the idea of using it to make fudge would be that some of the pearls remain in the finished fudge, even if broken down somewhat, and so provide the crunch/gritty texture.

I believe this member has decided to leave the forum so I doubt you will get a reply from him.

As it happens I have some of this pearl sugar but I've only used it as a sprinkle topping on muffins/cakes. I think maybe the idea of using it to make fudge would be that some of the pearls remain in the finished fudge, even if broken down somewhat, and so provide the crunch/gritty texture.
Yeah, ok, we call it rock sugar, thanks for clearing that up.

Me to the old me?
30 years ago, I was very limited in what I ate.
20 years go, I started up my own food company, and ended up in all sorts of Gourmet events. I ate oysters, blood sausage, chorizo, tarantula, lemon ants, chapulines - they just got put in my mouth and I ate them. No problem - so the first point is: don´t say no to new food, unless it really, really turns you off ( or you´re allergic).
  • Mise en place is the key to serving up good food, on time. you can´t cook something properly unless every ingredient is in front of you.
  • Be authentic. If you´re making Mexican food, use real Mexican ingredients. If you´re making Chinese - go to your nearest Chinese grocery and buy the ingredients there. All due respect to the supermarkets, but "own brands" and " ready mixes" are nowhere near the original. The difference between a "curry" made with Joe´s Curry Powder, and a dish made with turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cardamoms and cinnamon is immense.
  • Use fresh ingredients - always. Tinned, frozen or bottled veg are never even close to fresh.
  • If you´re cooking for an event, no matter how small, go like the clappers from the start. You never know what might happen ( and it usually does) to ruin your timeline, and you must never underestimate the time it takes to plate your food.
  • When your cooking something for others, think colour, texture, contrast and flavours.
  • Taste, taste , taste and season if necessary.

Me to the old me?
30 years ago, I was very limited in what I ate.
20 years go, I started up my own food company, and ended up in all sorts of Gourmet events. I ate oysters, blood sausage, chorizo, tarantula, lemon ants, chapulines - they just got put in my mouth and I ate them. No problem - so the first point is: don´t say no to new food, unless it really, really turns you off ( or you´re allergic).
  • Mise en place is the key to serving up good food, on time. you can´t cook something properly unless every ingredient is in front of you.
  • Be authentic. If you´re making Mexican food, use real Mexican ingredients. If you´re making Chinese - go to your nearest Chinese grocery and buy the ingredients there. All due respect to the supermarkets, but "own brands" and " ready mixes" are nowhere near the original. The difference between a "curry" made with Joe´s Curry Powder, and a dish made with turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cardamoms and cinnamon is immense.
  • Use fresh ingredients - always. Tinned, frozen or bottled veg are never even close to fresh.
  • If you´re cooking for an event, no matter how small, go like the clappers from the start. You never know what might happen ( and it usually does) to ruin your timeline, and you must never underestimate the time it takes to plate your food.
  • When your cooking something for others, think colour, texture, contrast and flavours.
  • Taste, taste , taste and season if necessary.

i agree with all of those, with the exception of no canned or frozen. That is, of course the best way, but not always available. If you live 500 miles from an ocean, fresh seafood is not an option unless you are wealthy. For me, in North Texas, fresh tomatoes are only available for a few weeks out of a year and I have to hunt them out even when they are in season. I find that canned San Marzano tomatoes are better than the red water bombs I can buy fresh.

But, I'm with you on all your other observations, especially mise en place, and taste, taste taste.

CD

i agree with all of those, with the exception of no canned or frozen.
I´m with you on that. I probably should have added " unless there´s no alternative".
Sometimes "fresh" is simply not there - so we have to do what we have to do. And I suppose there´s also a time ( me included) where we say " I´m so damn tired, I´m just going to throw something together" - and as long as it tastes good, it´s valid.
I had an order for some samosas a few months back. I make the filling with potatoes, onions and peas.
No fresh peas. No frozen peas either ( which are actually pretty good). Only tinned peas. Hate the colour, but what could I do?
Everyone said they were delicious, so who am I to judge? :happy: :happy:

You don't have to juggle oil like Jamie Oliver outside the restaurant business.. and they sell oil bottles with small nozzles.. :scratchhead:

Took me ten years to figure out I could reduce my oil consumption by buying a small nozzle bottle and not just pouring it in a pan :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom