As a cook, what would the current you say to the old you?

This is a great way to make things more interesting...and, in your case, better, too.

I need to remind myself to slow down when I cook. Lately, it's because of my usual late start times with my prep, but it definitely was because of nervousness/uncertainty before.

I do find myself documenting what I make sometimes if for no other reason than because some specific thing I did might turn out to be really good. But, your experience serves as a reminder to write it down if what I did really worked.
I don't drink coffee on days I want to do a serious project. Brings on anxiety, self doubt and forgetfulness.
I have a beautiful wife so I don't look in the mirror either.

Everyone changes over time. We all do. I want to feel like I'm doing better as a cook than I did back then, and I owe a lot of that to the people on this forum.

My first post here was in April 2017, Toasted Cinnamon Coconut Ice Cream. At that point, I hadn't been seriously cooking for very long. My first picture looks good, but then again it's hard to screw up scooping ice cream into a bowl:

View attachment 55997

But, as I look at other posts, I can see where I would have done things differently. Some of the things were sloppy and ill-conceived. I'd like to think that I've gotten better at my precision.

But, I can also see where I've gotten complacent. I rarely (more like never) try making a truly ambitious dish anymore. Maybe it's just the situation in the world over the past year, but my willingness to plunge into the unknown seems mostly gone. I would like to recapture that spark again, where I couldn't wait to try making something I've never made before. It's now more of a technical challenge than an exciting journey into the unknown.

It seems that, while the current me could teach the old me a few things about technique, the old me could still remind the new me about the thrill of cooking.
I understand and feel totally. My new cooking me is struggling to find motivation to cook and just cook, whereas my old cooking me would enthusiastically do so.

I understand and feel totally. My new cooking me is struggling to find motivation to cook and just cook, whereas my old cooking me would enthusiastically do so.

I go through funks like this from time to time. Usually what pulls me out of it is when I decide to make something new. This lets me re-capture a sense of discovery and wonder. Making something you’ve made 100 times before won’t put a bounce in your step, but maybe something new will.

I go through funks like this from time to time. Usually what pulls me out of it is when I decide to make something new. This lets me re-capture a sense of discovery and wonder. Making something you’ve made 100 times before won’t put a bounce in your step, but maybe something new will.
You are right! I will try that...I am trying to figure out a squash and peas soup...should be easy :)

I had a spell like that. I started cooking as a means of unwinding from a stressful job, then I found myself getting more stressed about the cooking than work! Over thinking about what to cook, trying adventurous dishes on a weeknight after a tiring day, feeling the need to impress anyone who comes round etc. The worst thing I then did was to start posting on social media. Instragram is the worst, where everything is picture perfect and you start thinking "my food needs to be like this" when actually it doesn't. I soon lost the motivation to cook.

It was my wife who turned things round by asking me why I wasn't cooking some of the dishes that she'd liked. So I put all the expectations and social media aside and just started cooking, and never looked back.

I had a spell like that. I started cooking as a means of unwinding from a stressful job, then I found myself getting more stressed about the cooking than work! Over thinking about what to cook, trying adventurous dishes on a weeknight after a tiring day, feeling the need to impress anyone who comes round etc. The worst thing I then did was to start posting on social media. Instragram is the worst, where everything is picture perfect and you start thinking "my food needs to be like this" when actually it doesn't. I soon lost the motivation to cook.

It was my wife who turned things round by asking me why I wasn't cooking some of the dishes that she'd liked. So I put all the expectations and social media aside and just started cooking, and never looked back.
Wow, thank you so much for sharing your experience...I am totally there with you, social media are dreadful, I am on neither, don't even have a facebook page, I think my goal is to just feed my kid and me healthy meals...and unavoidably, once in a while, try something new...like my boyfriend suggested and demonstrated simple zucchini pads, I was thrilled, all was done under 20 minutes...and the soup I did like an hour ago, was basically "forgotten" on the stove, it took 25 minutes, and it was fine, I also think talking about the lack of motivation helps, like this forum tonight, totally supportive and insightful, it happened to other people too...:)

The worst thing I then did was to start posting on social media. Instragram is the worst, where everything is picture perfect and you start thinking "my food needs to be like this" when actually it doesn't. I soon lost the motivation to cook.

I seriously believe that beautiful plating for most people is entirely for the photograph. If you are running a restaurant, or if you really want to blow people away at a party, then plating is important. Otherwise, not so much.

We have some incredibly talented people here, and I have learned a few things about plating from watching them. But, this is all without judgment. This is the friendliest cooking forum by far, from my experience.

But, I don’t get caught up in thinking I have to make it look pretty. people who have seen recipes I posted will attest to that. :laugh: The taste is the only thing that really matters.

I seriously believe that beautiful plating for most people is entirely for the photograph. If you are running a restaurant, or if you really want to blow people away at a party, then plating is important. Otherwise, not so much.

We have some incredibly talented people here, and I have learned a few things about plating from watching them. But, this is all without judgment. This is the friendliest cooking forum by far, from my experience.

But, I don’t get caught up in thinking I have to make it look pretty. people who have seen recipes I posted will attest to that. :laugh: The taste is the only thing that really matters.
Definitely, yes, I agree! Just for a laugh, before I got my new dishwasher, for a few weeks we would eat from paper plates, I hate doing dishes, it was really just on A plate, that was it. However, as you say, it did not make it less delicious... of course soups and stews still went into normal bowls:)...I looove beuaitufl pictures of food, but I know it is not for real, andthe colours are never that intense, and then I read about food on set designers, like a whooole process of making it look like it, it just is very deappetizing to me, it is just too much fuss...yep, the taste is the make or break factor.

I'm in that spot right now. I want to cook, and do new things... but motivation is low these cold winter days. Hopefully my old self would be smart enough not to try to jolly me out of this (hopefully temporary) mode.

Back
Top Bottom