Asian bean filled cakes

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
10:54 PM
We have a rather large Asian food market here in the Seattle area and a few years ago I was introduced to these little rice flour cakes that were filled with sweet bean paste. I have to admit that I was not a fan of them at all. Is this a dessert that is an aquired taste, or was this distasteful flavor of them just because they were prepackaged and not fresh?

Are you talking about hopia or mooncakes? Perhaps you are talking about buchi. They are not really acquired taste. Perhaps, you bought one from a store that doesn't make tasty foods like these. It could also be because I grew up eating these delicacies, so I love them. We eat them for dessert, and we sometimes eat them as snacks. You should try the freshly-cooked ones. They are especially good when hot. Yum yum.

Are you talking about hopia or mooncakes? Perhaps you are talking about buchi. They are not really acquired taste. Perhaps, you bought one from a store that doesn't make tasty foods like these. It could also be because I grew up eating these delicacies, so I love them. We eat them for dessert, and we sometimes eat them as snacks. You should try the freshly-cooked ones. They are especially good when hot. Yum yum.

Yes, I also think that this thread is referring to hopia. My favorite is the mongo beans flavor. One friend who had worked in a pastry shop told me that the secret of a delicious hopia is the mongo beans. It is cooked in a paste with sugar and other flavorings (sometimes vanilla). The dough is molded with the mongo paste inside. And when baked, there you have the hopia. There is an avenue in Manila where there are stores that sell hopia that they bake right there in the display area.

Back
Top Bottom