Asian Cuisine

isabbbela

Veteran
Local time
6:29 PM
Hello!

So I've always loved Asian food. But I live in Brazil, where Asian food is somewhat limited - Chinese and Japanese foods are very popular, but every other type is not very well known.

So when I lived in California for 1 year I was pleasantly surprised to find Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and Mongolian restaurants all around, easily accessible and for affordable prices! I quickly learned to eat all of those foods + Chinese and Japanese, which I already loved.

So when I came back to Brazil I found myself really missing Curry, Tikka Masala, Chai, milk teas and all of that good stuff..... now please forgive me if you're Asian and I mentioned something wrong here. I lived in California, not Asia per say. So my idea of Chinese food is slightly better than PF Chang's and Panda Express. I know those are not traditionally what you would eat in China, don't worry! But usually the Vietnamese and Thai restaurants around in California sounded very legit, as the owners were immigrants from those countries.

Either way, I have been missing those foods and drinks, so this week I took it upon myself to learn to make chicken with curry and Chai Latte. They were so delicious!!!! I'm so excited about learning to use Asian condiments and recipes. Let me know if you have tips and recipes I should try out!

That's cool. I live in Asia, born in the Philippines and grew up in Indonesia, and I'm very aware of how lucky I am to have such an extensive food experience. (The Philippines and Indonesia are almost right next to each other, but the food is so different). I know that many people in the world don't get to have Japanese food other than sushi, so I'm lucky that Japanese businesses and communities have expanded here so much that there's a little Japantown where I can get miso and shiso to make tsukune or get globally uncommon kitchenware, such as an obanyaki pan.

At the same time, don't worry, I've got my own culinary limitations that would make me envious of many of those who live in other countries, even you probably! :wink:

I'm mostly into sweets, though. My next culinary project is Indonesian Martabak Manis (fat pancake sandwiches).

Back
Top Bottom