Asian - Who knows how to make a good Egg Foo Young?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:12 AM
I've been wanting to try a good recipe.
I'm in the process of moving, and want to make a good Asian meal when I get all set up in the new apartment, so I thought about making some Egg Foo Young as part of the meal.

Which one of you knows how to do it? :wink:

Egg Foo Young..jpg

I want to make it, but I don't want to use corn starch to thicken the gravy!! :headshake: :stop:

There are plenty of other things you can use to thicken gravy such as straight flour, arrowroot or xanthum gum.
Why don't you want to use corn starch?

When gravy is made with corn starch, the gravy tends to go watery & loose. It is my belief that flour holds up better in gravy than corn starch, but that's just me. :wink: :headshake:

Egg Foo Yung, as I understand it, is a Chinese omelette. The Western version of it is often served with a sauce but I think this would not be the case in China. I've made it a few times. Its one of those dishes that comes in many variations: prawn, crab, chicken etc. My top tips would be as follows:
  • to stir fry the vegetables and whatever else you are adding first then add the beaten eggs to the wok or pan (it needs to be a super non-stick pan!). Use a spatula to scoop the runny edges of the omelette into the centre as it cooks.
  • Use sesame oil to stir fry the ingredients (this really adds flavour).
  • Don't over-cook or it will go leathery (obvious really)
As for the sauce, if you don't want to add cornstarch perhaps you could use oyster sauce mixed with light soy sauce and a little stock. And good luck with the move!

When gravy is made with corn starch, the gravy tends to go watery & loose. It is my belief that flour holds up better in gravy than corn starch, but that's just me. :wink: :headshake:
I've always made gravy with flour, as did my grandmother, so make it the way you like it and don't worry about it.

I've always made gravy with flour, as did my grandmother, so make it the way you like it and don't worry about it.

Yeah, that is true. I've always made gravy with flour. Our mom did also.
I still use corn starch as a thickener for some things, but not for gravy. Corn starch has a clear consistency in sauces & gravies. Flour seems to hold up far better in gravies! :wink:

I love egg foo young, and have been wanting to try making it, as well. I gathered some recipes off the internet a while back, but that's as far as I've gotten so far. I think it's regional, I don't recall seeing it on the menus down here much, but it was a staple back home.

Egg Foo Yung, as I understand it, is a Chinese omelette. The Western version of it is often served with a sauce but I think this would not be the case in China. I've made it a few times. Its one of those dishes that comes in many variations: prawn, crab, chicken etc. My top tips would be as follows:
  • to stir fry the vegetables and whatever else you are adding first then add the beaten eggs to the wok or pan (it needs to be a super non-stick pan!). Use a spatula to scoop the runny edges of the omelette into the centre as it cooks.
  • Use sesame oil to stir fry the ingredients (this really adds flavour).
  • Don't over-cook or it will go leathery (obvious really)
As for the sauce, if you don't want to add cornstarch perhaps you could use oyster sauce mixed with light soy sauce and a little stock. And good luck with the move!

Thanks.
Yeah, I believe the bean sprouts are put in it as well. I'd use either pork or chicken for the meat. :wink:

And BTW, I've also gotten lobster sauce as part of a take-out meal, and when I got it home, the sauce was no longer a sauce! It was a very loose, watery ^ soupy type of thing!!! Corn starch was used in that also!!! When I made lobster sauce, even for the first & only time, I used flour made like a medium roux and added it to the mixture. Had no problem with it holding up it's consistency in the gravy!! :wink:

Last edited:
Mmm, I love lobster, that really would be nice. I think when I've had it, the meat was pork, but any should work well. The recipe I have does call for bean sprout, as well as shredded Chinese cabbage. It uses cornstarch, but I like @morning glory's suggestion of mixing up the oyster sauce, soy sauce, and stock, so I think I'll try that when I make it.

Lobster sauce..jpg

Here's a pic of my lobster sauce that I made, using some canned pork. And the gravy was made from FLOUR, NOT CORN STARCH! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom