Asparagus and mayonnaise

BWF

Veteran
Local time
10:09 PM
I tried making this recipe with my roommate the other day. It's a French starter (he's French) made from boiled green asparagus (chilled) served with homemade mayonnaise.

We started by rapidly whisking the olive oil with Dijon mustard and raw egg yolks and we realized that there were some tricks to it. Like we found that sunflower oil tends to make a better emulsion than olive oil so we used a 50-50 mix of olive oil and sunflower oil. Also, the oil has to be poured slowly into the eggs while whisking. I found that adding a drop of water together with the lemon juice and a dash of vinegar somehow helps to stabilize everything and hold it together. We then finished off by adding a dash of chilli flakes and some salt.

Anyone else has mayonnaise tips to share?

Thanks!

I've never tried making my own mayonnaise, but that sounds great!! I always thought there was a lot of work involved in it, but your process doesn't sound overly difficult. It's asparagus season here in Germany, so we've been eating a lot of it. I especially love it with Hollandaise sauce, which is somewhat the same principle of what you just described. Kind of. In that it's asparagus and a white sauce hahah. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! You might have inspired me to try making mayonnaise.

I've never made homemade mayonnaise before. The process doesn't sound difficult to try. I'd like to give this a go sometime soon. Thanks for the recipe.

I've never tried making my own mayonnaise, but that sounds great!! I always thought there was a lot of work involved in it, but your process doesn't sound overly difficult. It's asparagus season here in Germany, so we've been eating a lot of it. I especially love it with Hollandaise sauce, which is somewhat the same principle of what you just described. Kind of. In that it's asparagus and a white sauce hahah. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! You might have inspired me to try making mayonnaise.

We basically made it by trial and error. The trick is to make sure the eggs are not too warm and should be slightly below room temperature. So the idea would be to use them straight from the fridge. Sunflower oil seems to better at forming emulsions than olive oil so we tend to mix them together as olive oil gives a stronger, richer flavor.

Good luck! I hope it goes well!

My best tip for homemade mayonnaise is to use a hand blender. I never really saw the use of emulsion blenders until I saw a friend make mayo with one. It was super quick, super smooth, and tasted great without any splitting at all. Seriously, she made mayo in less than 2 minutes from start to finish!

Reactions: BWF
I'm not a big mayo fan so I doubt that I will ever make it. its interesting to see how people make their own though.

My best tip for homemade mayonnaise is to use a hand blender. I never really saw the use of emulsion blenders until I saw a friend make mayo with one. It was super quick, super smooth, and tasted great without any splitting at all. Seriously, she made mayo in less than 2 minutes from start to finish!
Using a hand blender is the best option, I totally agree. The problem was that my friend and I did not have any at that time hence we decided to try manually using an egg whisk. It worked but the fastest results (with an excellent consistency and texture) are usually from those made with a hand blender.

Even though I don't eat it very much I would be curious as to how the homemade mayo tastes as opposed to the store kind. I would imagine it has a richer and purer flavor than the stuff from the store.

I am not much of a mayo fan so I probably will not make this. I am the odd one in the family as everyone else does enjoy mayo, do you think making our own is a slightly healthier alternative?

A hand mixture or even a blender is a lot easier. Though those are a lot harder too clean. But I generally hand whisk just because I like doing stuff the old fashion way. I cheated and had a recipe a friend shared with me though, so the measurements and what not were already figured out.

I've tried making mayo on my own both in my counter top blender as well as with an old hand blender, but could never get either to come out properly and wound up wasting a lot of oil in the process. I think in both instances the problem in part was that I had the wrong blade attachment and the motors weren't strong enough. The hand blender I used was 20+ years old and I lost the "whipping" blade for it, which was like a tilted disc which would add a lot of air to what you were mixing. Instead I used the standard blade attachment, which didn't do much but mix everything. And the motor in it is not all that powerful. When I tried it in my counter top blender, it's a cheaper model Oster blender which cannot even chop ice, so I guess it wasn't spinning hard enough either. All it did was form a hollow spot in the center and the rest of the ingredients stayed to the sides untouched.

I've never heard of putting mayo on asparagus, but I have heard of putting holandaise sauce on it. I use the Julia Child blender method, pouring the melted hot butter into the blender a little at a time while the other ingredients are blending. It works like a charm and comes out consistent each time.

I never thought that making mayonnaise can be that easy.

On the other hand, I have tried asparagus and mayonnaise. I love the combination. :)

I've only ever made my own homemade mayonnaise completely from scratch once. It's one of those recipes I'll need to go back to and fix. The asparagus even on it's own would sound divine as an appetizer.

Back
Top Bottom