Astrology

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
11:20 AM
Anyone into astrology?:happy:

I was very much into it when I was a teen, doing natal chart readings and also horary astrology.

I’m not so active nowadays but I still like to know what the heavens are doing every now and then. Right now I’m nearing my 1st Saturn return that will happen in April 2021, a month or so after my birthday.

What about you?

Apart from looking up and being able to find some of the constellations, not really. I just appreciate it all more for being there than anything else.

^ My husband enraptured me on our first date 32 years ago by reporting and explaining all the stars and constellations while walking me home from a local disco. (No wonder he's teaching biology and geography now. Not rocket science or astronomy, though :happy:). I'm not that interested in astrology but I think that everything is connected through known and unknown particles and all stars, planets and moons are in some kind of interaction - or at least subordinate to (relatively) similar laws - some of which are also partly unknown. I'm currently interested in ultra- and infrasounds :headphone:.

Last edited:
I'd love to be able to recognize the constellations. I really love the symbolism most of all.
You can download a free star map app for your phone and you point it up at the sky, and it'll show you the names of all the stars and planets and stuff, and connect up the constellations. You can even track the space station.

My very first opera was Calisto, and if you know the story, then you know the stars are central to the story. It was an enthralling performance and cemented my love of opera.

You can download a free star map app for your phone and you point it up at the sky, and it'll show you the names of all the stars and planets and stuff, and connect up the constellations. You can even track the space station.

My very first opera was Calisto, and if you know the story, then you know the stars are central to the story. It was an enthralling performance and cemented my love of opera.

I had never heard of Calisto, need to look it up. Which app are you using? At a certain point I had Star Tracker but a friend who could recognize some constellations thought the app was off.

I used Star Walk, though I just removed it, but I'll likely add it back soon.

Calisto is about how the Little Bear and Great Bear constellations came to be. Even though it's about mythology and has a lot of humor in it, it's an incredibly sad story, the way it's told in the opera:

Calisto is a young woman and follower of Diana. Zeus comes down one day, sees her, wants a bit of fun, but she refutes his advances, because as a follower of Diana, she must stay virginal. Zeus later transforms himself into the form of Diana, meets Calisto again, and convinces her that it's ok to get it on with her, Diana. Zeus has his fun, goes back to Olympus well pleased, and thinks nothing more of it.

Meanwhile, Calisto, in her post-coital warmth, meets up with the real Diana later, and let's her know that she's up for some more fun, if Diana would like. Diana, disgusted at the suggestion, banishes Calisto from her fold, which in mythology, to be cast out by your god/goddess is a fate worse than death.

Oh, but there's more. Hera, Zeus' wife, finds out about his latest dalliance, zooms down to the woods, finds a forlorn Calisto, calls her bad names for seducing her husband, and turns her into a bear, fated to live the life of a bear until she dies.

Zeus finds out, comes back down, and takes pity on Calisto, and tells her that, regrettably, he can't undo what Hera has done, but that she will be rewarded in the afterlife. He also charges Mercury (I think) to be her constant companion over her bear life, to make sure she is safe and not hunted.

He then tells her her reward: when she dies, she'll be transported to the heavens, to sit by his side forever in the sky, and people will forevermore look up and know that Calisto was his true love.

She became the Great Bear, and the Little Bear is their child, because she got pregnant after being with Zeus.

The way the opera handled the final bit, with her death in the forest, after a long and happy bear life, and her ascension to the heavens was just spectacular. They had projected a giant star map on the roof of the auditorium (which was completely dark), and you really started to feel like you were actually outside after a few minutes, and as she died, the music swelled and swelled and slowly, the constellation of the two bears shone brighter than the rest. I was crying my eyes out!

Thank you for sharing the story TastyReuben I didn't know that one. The bit about her being impregnated by Zeus isn't anything new, I think the only woman who didn't have a baby by Zeus was Athena. I will check out Star Walk.

If have skyscanner on my phone as an app. I used it a few years ago to explain some stars to,grandkids while on holiday. I'm a Pisces. I've used astrology to break the water with women while chatting at bars. I normally say I'm on the cusp? Lol.

Russ

If have skyscanner on my phone as an app. I used it a few years ago to explain some stars to,grandkids while on holiday. I'm a Pisces. I've used astrology to break the water with women while chatting at bars. I normally say I'm on the cusp? Lol.

Russ
Need to try skyscanner. I’m a Pisces too, born March 17

I don't believe in anything I can't see. My wife comes from a long line of female Serbian Mystics. She scares the shxte out of people she reads. The last reading I witnessed was our female lawyer and her sister who is a psychologist. Her cards are really spooky, see also reads hands and the coffee grounds in the bottom of a cup of turkish kava.
1603086108548.png

Back
Top Bottom