At which grocery stores do you find the best prices?

DIna00

Veteran
Local time
10:11 PM
At which grocery stores do you find the best prices or most discounts?

I'm always on the lookout for a good deal! Recently I discovered ALDI, which is a german based company that has opened discount grocery stores in the states. They absolutely have the cheapest prices I have ever seen. Bricks of cheese are $1.79, a carton of eggs is $1.19, bags of tortilla chips are $1.19, and butter is $1.64. Their prices do fluctuate but they are always the lowest around.

Their food is fresh and good quality too. Some of their food is imported from Canada and Germany. At Christmas they have the best variety of German sweets and treats! They also have an area where they sell discounted themed items, for example one month they sold kitchen utensils and supplies, another time they sold elderly assistive aids like canes, back rests and shower seats, at Christmas they sell toys, etc.

Which stores do you find the best deals?

I go to a local store that has the best prices, we don't have that many big chains here, and Safeway and Albertsons do not have the same quality I think.

It sounds like you found some of the best prices in the country, but I would be curious as to the quality of the items you mentioned. I know I have seen some things that looked like great deals, but turned out to be not worth it, such as cheap eggs that don't seem to have the nutrients or frozen veggies that are tasteless. Sometimes you can get a great deal, and sometimes you just get what you pay for.

I find it quite surprising how often the 'expensive' supermarket chains are written off by people on a budget, yet when I shop in one, then go shopping with my parents the stuff I buy is more expensive in places like Sainsbury's and Tesco's than it is in Waitrose!
Also I prefer the quality of the produce in Waitrose and the products (often fresh veg) lasts much longer than the same stuff bought in Tesco's or Morrison's, not to mention it usually tastes much better and much closer to what I used to get from my veg plot. But as with all things it is a case of watching the prices. Unless on promotion something like Alpro Almond Milk or Almond Breeze is £1.49 a litre in Waitrose, yet Morrison's, tescos, Sainsbury's all sell it at £1.59-£1.69 and I have seen it in the co-op at £1.89!

I am very lucky to be in the vicinity of 4 different grocery stores, so I don't have to focus on one. I get my sale flyers every Thursday in the newspaper and make my list for Friday. Sometimes its not worth traveling to different stores for the sales but in my case it is because they are all so close to me.

SatNav brings up some good shopping points here and I have found the same case to be true where I live. QFC is by far the "most expensive" grocery store in my area, so you would want to go to Fred Meyer to do the bulk of the shopping. I have found that when QFC puts things on sale, they blow the rest of the stores in prices and their produce lasts much longer than the produce I would buy at the cheaper store. The main things to buy at the cheaper store, such as Fred Meyer for me, is the staples like flour, lunch meat, eggs, and the like. It pays to search through weekly sales ads and don't be afraid to go to the expensive store because there are savings to be had there too. I also really like going to Trader Joes because they have a lot of unique and fun foods to choose from. Their cheeses are also less expensive than you would find at a regular grocery store.

in the uk aldi and lidl are the cheapest for some things,but it is hard to do a whole shop in their stores,

This obviously depends on the country you're in...When I was in Sweden my two favorite stores were Lidl and Netto (it's this German grocery chain I think). It was always such a thrill to go and find the best deals on ingredients

Cost co is getting a customer base in the uk if you buy in bulk,
Same as makro

Morrison, not sure it is the cheapest around but it always seems my bill at the check out is extremely low. My choices are only Morrisons or the co-op unless I want to cycle a minimum of 6 miles to.....another co-op. The co-op is by far the most expensive I have ever come across, DESPITE being non profit making and actually owning lots of farms?
There is a Lidls 10 miles away, so do an occasional shop there. Normally get anything I am short of from neighbours as I really can't be bothered doing a proper shop more than 3 weekly.
Used to order my mothers shopping on line using my own account. Changed to her card and set up an account for her, consequently Tesco sends me vouchers every 3 months to get me to shop there again. It works like this, spend a £100 and we will knock of £15 first week and £10 for next 2 weeks. Sometimes the offers are better than that. Absolutely no use to me whatsoever. I give my Tesco club card to a neighbour (2 adults 3 children) and the coupons and they use it, as they always do a £100 shop. Worth noting the latter. If you stop shopping at Tesco they will try to draw you back with these deals. Soon as they have used the coupons they stop shopping with them or in my case the neighbours stop using my Tesco card and use their own.

Back
Top Bottom