Avocado leaves

I have started the avocado plant from the pit before because it makes a very pretty plant. I had no idea there were health benefits in the leaves. I will need to start a new plant growing very soon. I do live in an area that can get very cold during the winter, so my plant will have to be a house bond plant.

I have started the avocado plant from the pit before because it makes a very pretty plant. I had no idea there were health benefits in the leaves. I will need to start a new plant growing very soon. I do live in an area that can get very cold during the winter, so my plant will have to be a house bond plant.

I have a plant I haven't been paying much attention to. I'm going to have to start nurturing it more and see if I can encourage more leaf growth. I do want to do more reading up on the use of avocado leaves though. It seems the benefit is only with certain varieties.

@ChanellG It just happened that my grandparents had a land where they grew fruit bearing trees like mangoes, star apples, bananas, jackfruits, avocado and other fruits. That is where they get their source of income. They sell the harvested fruits to local markets and to supermarkets. That is why we had the means to eat fruits like avocados for free and boil avocado leaves in my mother country. My grandparents always send us some of their harvested fruits and I am missing it already since I migrated in another country. Yes I think that the avocado leaves will have the same benefits where ever you plant and grow its tree.

Last edited:
@ChanellG It just happened that my grandparents had a land where they grew fruit... That is why we had the means to eat fruits like avocados for free and boil avocado leaves in my mother country...

That is lucky indeed! I wonder if I could successfully graft a limb from my friend's avocado tree onto the plant i have that grew from an avocado pit. I would love to have my own free avocados in the back yard that I didn't have to worry about whether they were loaded with pesticides or not. Also, the price of avocados can be quite costly at times, and the quality is questionable at other times.

@ChanellG My grandparents are the lucky ones...And yes you are right sometimes the price of avocados are quite costly...

Not only can they be costly here, averaging $1 or more for just one, when you get one there is no guarantee it will be a good one. I read something a while ago that said to check under the little stubble of stem left in the top of the fruit and see what color you get. If it's dark, you know it's not a good avocado. Most often I have to purchase ones that aren't ready and wait for them to finish ripening. Storing them presents another challenge at certain times of the year.

I have never heard of avocado leaves being of any health benefit, but it is true that the leaves of most fruit trees have been found to have a curative effect for many ailments including hypertension, diabetes, and influenza, to name a few.

We are into avocado season here now, and this is one of my favourite fruits. I used to think of it as a vegetable though, and always treated it that way. If the leaves are known for having such a cleansing effect when boiled as a tea, then it would be worth trying.
Are we into the season? I have not seen any and I could eat them every day. I feel sure I have heard my mom talk about pear leaf (that's what we call avocado) tea as a child. I don't think there is any bush or leaf she would not try. Maybe weed.....plus it's illegal.

Are we into the season? I have not seen any and I could eat them every day. I feel sure I have heard my mom talk about pear leaf (that's what we call avocado) tea as a child. I don't think there is any bush or leaf she would not try. Maybe weed.....plus it's illegal.

ROFLOL. I was just looking at my Monarda bee balm yesterday thinking about looking into how tea is made with it. I'm not sure if you just steep the leaves or use it as a flavoring. I now actually have a plant full enough to be able to harvest from, as well as a second variety. Last year's plant limped along and then suddenly started growing in spring, though it didn't do much until just recently. Still waiting for it to flower.

20150826_090335_resized.jpg Look what was dropped in my lap late last night when I was just about to leave work!!!!! I am going to have to call my mom and get the real story as to why I have not heard about 'pears' being around...ChanellG, you are right to laugh at me my moma. If I can find a scripture to support the weed thing, then we'll have a winner there as well. Any bush is a cure and the in her late 80s and to my mind still going strong. Me, I have all the issues.

That is an interesting one! I have never considered avocado leaves as anything but that. Now that you mention it, I will do more research on this. Avocado's can be found all year round where I come from but I only use the fruit. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 1360 Look what was dropped in my lap late last night when I was just about to leave work!!!!! I am going to have to call my mom and get the real story as to why I have not heard about 'pears' being around...ChanellG, you are right to laugh at me my moma. If I can find a scripture to support the weed thing, then we'll have a winner there as well. Any bush is a cure and the in her late 80s and to my mind still going strong. Me, I have all the issues.

Congratulations to your mother! I recently discovered grapefruit seed extract and I like it even better than the herbs I usually use. I have expanded my garden herb collection this year to include tarragon and lots more lemon verbena. My most mature lemon grass plant looks ready to take over the yard, lol! I lot one of my lavender plants to the July heat and humidity so I picked up another variety of it at work recently. I'm now considering a variegated sage.

That is an interesting one! I have never considered avocado leaves as anything but that. Now that you mention it, I will do more research on this. Avocado's can be found all year round where I come from but I only use the fruit. Thanks for sharing!

I keep looking at the plant I have growing in my yard that was a volunteer from a pit I had in the compost. It likely will never produce fruit, but I'm guessing the leaves are just as good as leaves from a tree that does. I know someone with a tree who lives not far from me. I'll have to ask her about its seasons and compare her leaves to mine. We an get the fruit year round as well, though it's not always that good.

Knowing how I love avocados, I should probably have one planted outside. I overheard my husband planning on cutting the mango tree down. Maybe it can be planted there. Room isn't necessarily the problem, but I don't know I want large trees all around me. I want my dogs to have room to run and play. I really have to look into this 'pear' leaf story though.

Knowing how I love avocados, I should probably have one planted outside. I overheard my husband planning on cutting the mango tree down. Maybe it can be planted there. Room isn't necessarily the problem, but I don't know I want large trees all around me. I want my dogs to have room to run and play. I really have to look into this 'pear' leaf story though.

I don't think an avocado tree would interfere with the ability of your dogs running and playing in the yard, but perhaps you could keep the tree in a container and limit the size of it. Why is your husband cutting down the mango tree? I've been so busy I haven't had time to look into the leaf story any further myself. The only fruiting tree I have at the moment is a Meyer Lemon, though I acquired a small fig a few months ago.

I don't think an avocado tree would interfere with the ability of your dogs running and playing in the yard, but perhaps you could keep the tree in a container and limit the size of it. Why is your husband cutting down the mango tree? I've been so busy I haven't had time to look into the leaf story any further myself. The only fruiting tree I have at the moment is a Meyer Lemon, though I acquired a small fig a few months ago.

I was actually wrong about the mango tree. It's a lime tree he wants to get rid of and I sanction that. It's been fighting to grow forever and it hasn't. I already have a lime tree that does well every time. The last set of limes are there now, but that bears fruit very, very well. The trees he has planted just outside of the fenced garden and truthfully, I think it's starting to encroach on my dog's space or mine. I've never thought of growing something like avocado in a container. Since we are on leaves, do you suppose the lime leaves are good for something as well? Perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom