Recipe & Video Ayam Taliwang

murphyscreek

Veteran
Local time
11:28 PM
IMG_20190731_190727_982.jpg

I cooked this spicy grilled chicken Indonesian (Lombok) dish yesterday for one of my video cooks. Was really happy with the result, trying to replicate a classic street food dish at home. Having leftovers right now. Lol... does anyone else love having savoury/spicy leftovers for breakfast?

Full recipe below.

Last edited:
Leftovers, except in certain dishes, like soup/stews (which get better over a day or so) don't really happen in our house.

I always feel a little disappointed, because whatever it is is rarely as good as it was when it was fresh.

On top of that, my wife has always had this quirk where, if we have chicken one night, she doesn't want anything chicken for the next several meals. That's why my menu plans always follow something like:

Beef
Pasta
Pork
Green salad
Chicken
Bean dish
Eggs for breakfast one day
Pancakes/waffles for breakfast the next
Repeat cycle

Even pizza, as much as I love and make pizza, I can't eat it cold or reheated.

Now, I'm not above using a dish from the night before in a new dish for lunch the following day, like if I roast a chicken for supper, I'll then use any leftover meat to make chicken salad, but that's a new dish (though the wife won't eat it), and it's different enough. But I'd never just reheat a piece of roasted chicken and have that.

I agree - in particular, if you re-heat it it gets tough and overcooked.

The generally agreed-upon best practice for rehearing pizza is in a pre-heated cast iron skillet, to get the bottom crisped up again, tossed in a medium oven for several minutes.

It's certainly better than just wrapping it in foil and chucking it in the oven (makes the crust soggy), or (god forbid) using the microwave (that just makes a plate of goo), but it's still a far cry from pizza fresh from the oven that's been allowed to settle on a rack for five minutes.

MrsTasty always admonishes me for eating pizza way too fast, but it's not (entirely) because I'm a glutton, it's because pizza has a peak moment of deliciousness that falls off very rapidly.

"I have to give you a yellow card for showing something this delicious without telling how you made it! :hyper:"

Hahaha.....fair enough mate. Full written and video recipe below.

p.s. I must be a bit weird....I LOVE cold leftover pizza.

P1060291fb.jpg

Ingredients
5 large chicken thigh pieces (bone in)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp palm sugar
5 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 cup coconut cream
lemon juice

Paste: 6 large red cayenne chillies deseeded
4 birds eye chillies
6 garlic cloves
8 shallots
2 medium size tomatoes (cut in to eighths)
1 tsp shrimp paste
2 inch piece galangal grated

Method

Process all paste ingredients in food processer or blender. Heat oil in a large wok and add the paste. Meanwhile, squeeze some lemon juice over the chicken and season with salt and black pepper. When paste is simmering, add the palm sugar and lime leaves crunched up first. Once sugar has fully dissolved in the paste, remove and reserve a few spoonfuls of the paste to later make a simple sauce by adding coconut cream and lemon juice.

Add chicken to remaining paste and braise for around half an hour, turning occasionally. Remove chicken and place on a rack skin side up, and baste on top some more of the reduced oily paste mixture before placing under a hot grill (broiler). When chicken starts to char, turn and repeat the basting process before charring the other side.

Serve with jasmine rice and tomato/chilli/cream sauce.

Video Recipe:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOzVx_bMAmM

Last edited:
My favorite part of the chicken. Thank you for the delicious looking picture and for the recipe.

DH and I have had left-over pizza a lot of times for breakfast. He cuts it up in a frying pan, with some butter. Then he pours scrambled eggs over the pizza. Try it, it is very good.

View attachment 30195

I cooked this spicy grilled chicken Indonesian (Lombok) dish yesterday for one of my video cooks. Was really happy with the result, trying to replicate a classic street food dish at home. Having leftovers right now. Lol... does anyone else love having savoury/spicy leftovers for breakfast?

Full recipe below.

YES, indeed this very morning.

I cooked up the last of the broiler birds from the freezer last night - these pastured birds are meaty and flavorful. This was the lone hen among the batch so I decided to roast her. Ate a little last night, and today for breakfast I had a drumstick, thigh and some of the breast meat, heated back up.

She'd been roasted on a rack topped with teriyaki marinade, garlic, and ground pepper, at 325 F / 160 C, for 1.5 hours. What I need to do next time with a chicken of this nature is cover the wings and neck tip with a bit of foil, removing for the last half hour. (At least, last night I got hungry before it was done, and grabbed the wings, and put her back to finish cooking).

Tomorrow more of it will be a chicken omelet...

I for one don't WANT a sweet breakfast. Once in a while I am in the mood for pancakes, but I only put about a tablespoon of maple syrup on them. For that maple flavor, not for the sweet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom