The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:09 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
08491163-3362-4d5a-bbcb-3700ad6c2311-jpeg.jpg

Fried rice can be made from ingredients you generally have on-hand in your fridge and pantry. Using cauliflower makes this a healthier dish (and then, I cancel all that out by using bacon, but I do so gladly). For those keeping score in the Recipe Challenge, this recipe includes red onion, green onion, leeks, and garlic.

Ingredients

4 strips of bacon, cut in small pieces
1/2 red onion, diced
1 small leek, sliced
1 pound chicken breasts, cut in 1/2" (12.5 mm) cubes
1 head cauliflower
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 cup corn
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 ounce ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
2 eggs
2 tablespoons soy sauce, adjusted to taste
1 ounce green onions, cut in 1/4" (6 mm) pieces

Directions

1. Cook bacon in a pan on medium heat. When the fat starts to render, add onion and leek pieces to the pan. Continue cooking until the bacon fat is rendered.

2. Add chicken to the pan. Brown on all sides.

3. Shred the cauliflower using a box grater. Take breaks to admire how impressive your biceps are looking (this is a bit of a workout!)

4. Add cauliflower, corn, peas and carrots, and mushrooms to the pan, stirring thoroughly to coat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

5. Make an opening in the middle of the mixture to expose the pan. Add sesame oil, then grated ginger and garlic, in the opening. Cook until fragrant and slightly browned, about 1 minute.

6. Add eggs into the opening, and mix in while breaking up the yolk. Allow to scramble for about a minute, then blend in thoroughly with the rest of the contents of the pan. Mix in soy sauce 1 tablespoon at a time, adjusting to taste.

7. Serve topped with green onions.

Last edited:
Great looking recipe. I'm going to send to a vegetarian friend, though he'll sub out something else for the chicken and use vege bacon.

Just FYI, you can carefully pulse florets in the food processor and get a nice "rice" product. I didn't try the stem, but you could probably do the same as long as you started with a small dice.

Bravo for using 4 types of allium! I used to think cauliflower 'rice' was a bit of a silly fad but it seems to have taken off. Its on sale ready riced in a all the supermarkets here. Its a great way to save calories and even with a few slices of bacon added its not a very calorific meal. I'd happily eat this minus the bacon though.

I like the use of sesame oil and ginger towards the end of cooking.

Bravo for using 4 types of allium! I used to think cauliflower 'rice' was a bit of a silly fad but it seems to have taken off. Its on sale ready riced in a all the supermarkets here. Its a great way to save calories and even with a few slices of bacon added its not a very calorific meal. I'd happily eat this minus the bacon though.

I like the use of sesame oil and ginger towards the end of cooking.

The bacon (and really the bacon fat) is really just a replacement for oil. That and, like a lot of people, if you put bacon in it, I am going to want to try it. :)

Back
Top Bottom